Topic: Intelligent tabbing/untabbing in 72-char fix-format

I still use 72-col fixed format lines, partly because a great deal of old but good code (all of my own included!) uses this and partly because I quite like it still.  I also LOVE the way that the editor will tab and un-tab whole blocks of lines in a single key-press.

An improvement which I would find very, very helpful in the editor, would therefore be 'intelligent' tabbing and un-tabbing. 
By this, I mean, when a block of code is selected for tabbing or un-tabbing, this action would take place whilst recognising when code is 72-col fixed format and, when it is, recognising 'C' comment markers  in char-posn 1, and continuation markers in char-posn 6, then freezing their positions.  Everything ELSE would thus move 4 chars to the right or left, but not these fixed-position markers.
---
John

Re: Intelligent tabbing/untabbing in 72-char fix-format

John,

I like this idea.  It'll take some work to get it running as the code controlling tabs within the editor is a bit messy.  I'll give it a look.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

This is quite high on my wish-list

John,

Sorry I haven't replied to this yet.  I'll look into how it is handled currently.  Hopefully this coming version or the next version will handle tabbing correctly in fixed format mode.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Still hoping and wishing . . ..