Topic: select a printer

Hi,
Is there away to select a printer or another fortran device  in a user dlg?
In CVF there was an procedure called  prt_nav(IOunit,object) is it possible to make some similar?

Other question:
the function dlgrequestselection contains only 6 items. Is it possible to make on containing 10 or more items with a variable string length?

Regards Klaus

Re: select a printer

Klaus Asmus wrote:

Hi,
Is there away to select a printer or another fortran device  in a user dlg?
In CVF there was an procedure called  prt_nav(IOunit,object) is it possible to make some similar?

No, we don't have a dialog that can select an alternate output unit that is pre-built.  You could write one that offered a list of units to the user to select, but one is not built in.  Additionally, you might also run into issues trying to access a printer directly from Fortran.

I couldn't find any reference, however, to prt_nav anywhere.  Do you have a link to the documentation for it?

Klaus Asmus wrote:

Other question:
the function dlgrequestselection contains only 6 items. Is it possible to make on containing 10 or more items with a variable string length?

I think I understand what you're asking here.  Technically, the dlgrequestselection dialog allows unlimited items.  However, it might not be drawing a scroll bar in all cases, which would be a bug.  I'm looking into it right now.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Klaus,

Simply Fortran 2.32, when released, will have a fixed dlgrequestselection function that should display a scrollbar in a dropdown list if a large number of choices are requested.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,
good to hear about the dropdown list in SF3.32!

I will try to get more info for you regarding the printing procedure, may be tomorrow.
one has to use a CVF lib:

Use Fortran_WinPrint       (May be I can send a copy of that lib...)

istat=  Print_Unit(IO_PR,Default_Printer=.FALSE., Font="Verdana"   ) with optionally some more parameters to open a dialog

at the end one has to close that fortran unit.

regards, Klaus

by the way, there is also a app called Printdlg in windows but without any description

Here more about printing in CVF:
There is a module in CVF6.1 called  Fortran_Winprint.f90;
the comment text in the file is explaining more.
In general one has to use this module by the use statement in a procedure where a print order follows:
Use Fortran_WinPrint
…...            
For printing one has to define a Fortran unit ; for example by my selfmade dialog:
call prt_nav(......)
If is decided to sent output to a printer, a Fortran unit has to be opened ; in my case called IO_PR
Next all print instructions has to be sent to that unit   …...

use after all printer output the function Print_Unit from Fortran_WinPrint like :
istat=  Print_Unit(IO_PR,Default_Printer=.FALSE., Font="Verdana")
see there are  more optional parameters!
close (IO_PR) …...Don't forget to close (conditional) the PRN-device after all the print output is finished

The source of Fortran_Winprint.f90 is sent separately by mail and I hope that you can use it in any way

regards, Klaus

Klaus,

The CVF example relies heavily on CVF's implementation and wrapping of the Windows API, which we don't support.  In fact, their code wouldn't technically work on 64-bit machines because of their assumption that a memory pointer can be represented as an INTEGER(KIND=4)

If I understand you correctly, you're attempting to print text to a printer directly? There are probably some drastically less complicated techniques possible, such as writing a temporary file and sending it to be printed without trying to directly use the Windows API.  I'll see if I can think of a solution.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Can you not just open a file named LPT1\\ for writing?

--
David

David, did you try it?
I found that the file name LPT1 is not accepted and the \\ will cause an error.
Of course one may give a print file any legal file name but it doesn't mean that it will be sent to a printer in Your network. You have to connect it to a specific printer.
Klaus