Topic: PLPlot and the extcairo device

I'm having trouble getting any of my code to recognize the extcairo device when using PLPlot functions.  The examples provided by the SF package manager work fine, but if you look at any of the hl_plplotxxx.f90 examples in the gtk-fortran package, they can't recognize the extcairo device.  I'm looking to do this to attach a graph to a drawing surface in a gtk-fortran GUI, so while I could run the graph completely separate of the app, i'd much rather have it in its own drawing area.

Everything compiles fine, and if I choose the wingcc device, it works fine.  But that won't integrate into the gtk cairo drawing area.

John

Re: PLPlot and the extcairo device

I'm looking into this as I type this message.  Sorry for the delayed response.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

It looks like this package doesn't currently have GTK support enabled at the moment.  I'll get a revised version up today or tomorrow with GTK support.  Oddly enough, Gtk-Fortran was built with PLPlot support.  Sorry for the slip-up.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

No problem...  Thanks for looking into it!

John

Still working this problem.  I rebuilt the PLPlot package with Cairo support, but I'm having issues with the Gtk-Fortran interface.  It'll be a bit longer.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

The Gtk-Fortran project now works with PLplot, although the solution was not a clean as I would have wished.  There is a new package, PLplot with Gtk+ Support (32-bit), that offers an alternative build of PLplot that supports Gtk+'s Cairo canvas.  Because supporting Cairo adds a significant dependency to PLplot, I've separated PLplot into two separate packages. 

The original PLplot package does not require Gtk+, and it doesn't support it either.  This package is meant for Windows users who do not plan on wrapping PLplot in Gtk+ applications.

The new PLplot package can still work with pure Windows applications, but it still needs linking with certain Gtk+ packages.

If you update your Gtk-Fortran package and install the new new PLplot package, you should see a new example that allows building Gtk+ applications with PLplot integration.

New users should not have any difficulty if they've never installed PLplot or Gtk-Fortran before.

In the next version of the package manager, there should be a mechanism to handle conflicting packages properly so that only the proper version of PLplot will be installable.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Great!  Thanks for the update/upgrade!

John