Topic: Package manager & MUESLI

We have used MUESLI quite a lot in our programming. Its latest Windows version is for GNU GCC-4.8.1, which means that we are stuck to Simply Fortran version 2.5. We did not quite understand the package manager warning about the mod file type changes. since GNU GCC-4.9.0. Can one use the Package manager with SF 2.5 / GCC-4.8.1?

Re: Package manager & MUESLI

Yes, you can use the Package Manager with older versions.  Many of the packages, however, have minimum compiler versions (4.9 when applicable).  It depends on whether you plan on using packages that contain Fortran modules.   For example, PLPlot will not work, but LAPACK and BLAS will work fine with all versions of Simply Fortran.

The package manager generally does not allow users to install packages that have a minimum compiler version that is insufficient.  The problem is that the server doesn't maintain a "previous versions" index, so you wouldn't be able to access files that previously worked with the compiler you have installed.

Depending on the license, we might be able to add MUESLI to the package manager itself.   Would that be acceptable?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Hi Jeff,

I am the author of Muesli. Up to now, there is no global license for my library, although a specific file (third-party.README.pdf) details all the external parts together with their license. Yes, I plan to add such a license, if I have some time, but this will require to split the numerical part (FML) and the graphic part (FGL). Anyway, only FML can be used under windows.

Antti, I can build new binary libraries with the last version (2.19) of SF, i.e. using GCC-4.9 : are you interested?

ecanot wrote:

Antti, I can build new binary libraries with the last version (2.19) of SF, i.e. using GCC-4.9 : are you interested?

I think everyone would appreciate a new build with GCC 4.9/SF 2.19.  There are a number of Simply Fortran users who are also using MUESLI, and they're most likely sticking with an older version of Simply Fortran for compatibility.  Outside of our users, I'm sure there are other Fortran users on Windows who would appreciate a newer build.

If you do choose to license MUESLI as an open-source package, I would personally suggest using an existing license such as MIT, BSD, or GPL.  Using a common license tends to attract substantially more users than a unique license.  However, it is of course up to you!

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Édouard,

It would naturally be great to have a MUESLI library built for SF2.19 and GCC-4.9 - or to get it to the Package Manager!

On the following web page:
   http://people.irisa.fr/Edouard.Canot/muesli/mingw.html
binaries of the last version of my Muesli library are available for SF-2.20.

Be aware that they are only for 64bit compiling.

Thank you!