1 (edited by highcontrast 2016-11-24 11:10:11)

Topic: High Contrast bugs

Simply Text 3.2.8.0 on 950XL/14965 with High Contrast Black Theme (All Settings ➡ Ease of Access ➡ High Contrast).

Update: Both the above bugs were fixed in Simply Text 3.2.9.0

Re: High Contrast bugs

The black-on-black settings appears to be an issue with some WinJS styling.  We're looking into it.

Are you saying that the syntax styling also doesn't work in High Contrast Black, or are you saying it isn't working at all on your system regardless of theme?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

3 (edited by highcontrast 2016-11-22 16:17:05)

jeff wrote:

The black-on-black settings appears to be an issue with some WinJS styling.  We're looking into it.

Thank you, I appreciate it muchly.

jeff wrote:

Are you saying that the syntax styling also doesn't work in High Contrast Black, or are you saying it isn't working at all on your system regardless of theme?

Simply Text 3.2.8.0; Lumia 950XL, Windows 10.0.14965.1001

• With High Contrast Black, all document text is white on black

• With High Contrast Light, all document text is black on white

• With High Contrast OFF, document syntax style colors work

The High Contrast theme is, as I understand it, meant to improve readability by removing 'decorative' colors. Syntax colors are 'functional' though, and I think there is a way to declare styles as 'important', 'required' or similar, to make them work with High Contrast themes.

Useful?

-ms-high-contrast media feature
hxxps://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465764.aspx

-ms-high-contrast-adjust property

hxxps://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh441137.aspx

High contrast themes

hxxps://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/uwp/accessibility/high-contrast-themes

An updated build has been approved for the store that fixes the missing settings switches in high contrast mode.  The syntax coloring, however, probably won't be fixed.  There seems to be a bug in Microsoft's host software that crashes when a certain screen region is set to ignore high contrast styling.  The bug is out of our control.

I should point out, though, that even Visual Studio does not show syntax highlighting in high contrast mode.  It's not an excuse, but, rather, another data point concerning how hard it is to override the defaults.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Actually, the syntax highlighting works for me in the new version (Simply Text 3.2.9.0 on 950XL/14965)! Thanks!