1 (edited by baf1 2016-07-06 18:10:28)

Topic: SF 2.29 Build 2221 (GTK+) Ubuntu ARM build crash

SF crashes immediately after selecting the File/Open menu rendering the application essentially unusable.  The following messages appear in the terminal window that launched simplyfortran

gfortran is /usr/bin/gfortran

(simplyfortran:6006): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' does not contain a key named 'sort-directories-first'
Trace/breakpoint trap

As a side note, this is my first use of the FUSE style version of SF.  It would be helpful if you also provided a small install script that provided an icon file and menu file so that SF appears in the launch menu as it did in the "older" releases.

Re: SF 2.29 Build 2221 (GTK+) Ubuntu ARM build crash

What version of Ubuntu are you trying this build on? 

The AppImage distributions really leave the creation of menu shortcuts to the user.  They are strictly a compromise for platforms where we do not support the native packaging solutions (i.e. Arch, Slackware, Fedora...).  If you are on Ubuntu, I strongly suggest you stick with the Debian (".deb") packages.

I will try to sort out this bug, though.  I'm surprised it is causing a crash, but Linux packaging is, generally speaking, unreliable and miserable.

EDIT: Looking at the bug, it is my guess that the included GTK+ libraries are somehow conflicting with the installed GTK+ theme...

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I believe I have a fix available, but let me know which version of Ubuntu so that I can confirm the fix works properly.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff

I am using 14.04.4 LTS

I should have a fix available later today.  However, I should point out that:

Our AppImage executables are all built on Debian GNU/Linux 8 or, in the case of ARM, Raspbian 8 using GCC 4.8.  They will not work, for example, on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS i386 or AMD64, RHEL 7, or Slackware 14.1 because they are all using extremely old compilers (with extremely old standard libraries, which is the actual problem).  The exception is 14.04 ARM simply because they used GCC 4.8 on that image for whatever reason while the i386/AMD64 Ubuntu equivalents were still using GCC 4.7.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

New builds (2226) are available now on the Download page that should fix this problem.  Let me know if the issue persists.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Thanks Jeff

I was only trying the AppImage on the ARM machine because I wanted to see if a non-superuser could install SF in their local directory.  The .deb version did, and does continue to work fine.

As for the suggestion of providing an icon file for the AppImage version: I was not suggesting that you provide any kind of install script, just the icon file that a person could drop into the menu directory to give a nice icon on their launch menu.  No big deal either way for me.

I think including an icon probably does make sense.  I'll see that one is easily included in the archive.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

The current .tar.gz builds for GNU/Linux (2233) now include a 64x64 PNG icon and an SVG icon.  I appreciate the suggestion!

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC