1 (edited by TrickyD 2012-11-03 12:09:30)

Topic: fwin.exe stops working - Registered copy of 1.33 on Windows 7 64bit

Yesterday I updated to version 1.33 from 1.32.  The software loads but when a project clean or build is initiated the software crashes and windows reports "fwin.exe has stopped working".

This is a registered copy of Simply Fortran running on Windows 7 64-bit Professional.  However, if I make it an unregistered copy by deleting the Registry entry associated with registering then all is well in the garden (i.e. the software works).

For information: I have tried several times to install the 1.33 software.
The first time I didn't uninstall version 1.32 before installing 1.33. Problem present.

The second time I uninstalled the software, deleted the Simply Fortran folder in C:\Programs Files (x86) and then re-installed.  Problem still present.

The third time I uninstalled 1.33 and re-installed 1.33.  Problem still present.

The fourth time (or was it the fifth,sixth,... I've tried so many things) I uninstalled 1.33, deleted the registry entries associated with the software setup and re-installed twice (after the first install it didn't appear so I tried again).  The software was good and I cleaned, built and ran the application.  Great "it works" I thought, so I entered the registration info and it still cleaned etc. until I restarted the software, when the problem returned.  So I deleted the Simply Fortran registration Registry entry and the problem disappeared but now I have an unregistered copy!!!!!

Sorry to make this such a long post but I'm trying to provide as much diagnostic info as possible.  The one thing I haven't tried is going back to 1.32 which reminds me of the minor problem I was hoping 1.33 would fix but they should be the subject of another post.

Anybody reading this post should not think Simply Fortran is buggy.  I have been very impressed with it smile having used it on and off for a year.

Help please Approximatrix I have tried to support you by registering!!

TrickyD smile

Re: fwin.exe stops working - Registered copy of 1.33 on Windows 7 64bit

Sounds like you're both having a pretty severe bug.  The issue must be associated with validation of your registration.  I'll see if I can figure out the issue by tomorrow at the latest, and, if so, I'll email both of you a patched version so you won't have to wait for a permanent fix on next release. 

Sorry for the trouble, and I'll get on the problem immediately.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

After some investigation, the bug is pretty severe and somehow related to how registration information is handled internally.  Interestingly, it only effects "long" email addresses, notably those beyond 32 characters total, which happened to be the case for the both these reports.  I've gone through and updated the associated code, and I no longer see any issues arising from this. 

I'll contact the two posters here personally, but if anyone else is having difficulty with this issue, please email support@approximatrix.com for assistance.  The next version, 1.34, will contain the proper fix.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

sukhveersanghera wrote:

TrickyD try installing version 1.32, it's now working for me no problems.  So jeff i'd check if it has something to do with the upgrades between the two.

Cheers

Thanks Sukhveersanghera,  I've been using 1.32 for a while and can go back to it if necessary but Jeff is working hard to get a fix out so I'll run 1.33 in evaluation mode until the fix arrives.

All the best,
Tricky

TrickyD smile

Good news!  Version 1.34 is on the web-site and the problem I had reported in this thread is fixed.

Thanks to Jeff for the quick response smile

TrickyD smile