Topic: my text file of my program

I have noticed that my file with my fortran  source code opens up with notepad in a very disorganized way. everything thing is all over the place .. Why does this happen ?.. The file only looks 'ok' in the 'compiler'.

Re: my text file of my program

The file might look incorrect in Notepad because the line endings are not in Windows format.  The file is probably being saved with GNU/Linux / *BSD formatting.  If you'd like it to appear correctly in Notepad, you can do the following:

1. Open the file in Simply Fortran
2. From the Edit menu, proceed into "Line End Characters" and select "Windows/DOS - CRLF"
3. From the Edit menu, proceed into "Line End Characters" and select "Convert All"
4. Save the file

The file should now appear correctly in Notepad as well as Simply Fortran.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Hi -

The thing I've seen is that what Jeff proposes works fine - but when you close SF and then re-enter, it is maddeningly set back to "GNU/Linux...". There seems to be no way to make the "Windows/DOS" setting stay permanent. Maybe I'm missing something, but so far it has frustrated me. I too like to be able to open the files with Notepad, so SF makes it difficult.

Regards

Simply Fortran does not "set" the value to GNU/Linux line endings.  In fact, Simply Fortran's default is to use Windows line endings.  For example, if you open a new file (New from the File menu), the setting will in fact be "Windows / DOS - CRLF."  Simply Fortran attempts to detect the current line ending standard in any given file and will continue to use that setting.

That said, there does appear to be a bug that is causing Simply Fortran to detect every file as being in "GNU/Linux / *BSD" line ending mode. I was unaware of it until petesun's reply.  I'll try to sort out what's going wrong.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,

Resprectfully, I first pointed it out in a post on 6/15/2012, "Project options". The issue was not resolved then, and has existed to date.

Regards

Looks like it slipped through the cracks.  Sorry about not getting that fixed.  I'll look into it today.

In the future, feel free to repost and/or poke me to remind me if I've apparently forgotten something.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

A new build of 1.42 that fixes the issue is currently undergoing final testing.  It will be released tomorrow morning.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Build 1177 is now available from the Download page that fixes the issue with detecting line endings.  I apologize for the months of delay in fixing the issue.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,

I tried 1177 and the line ending works fine now. Thank you for the update.

Regards

jeff wrote:

Looks like it slipped through the cracks.  Sorry about not getting that fixed.  I'll look into it today.

In the future, feel free to repost and/or poke me to remind me if I've apparently forgotten something.

Hi -

Please see "Compiler options" post of 6-17- 2012. Both items of that post regarding Help (optimization; keyword index) do not appear to have even been addressed.

Regards