1 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2013-12-03 00:13:19)

Topic: 2.7 feedback

Thanks for 2.7, Jeff.  I like the way that, when you fix small bugs, you also add some new facilities every time!
---
J.

Re: 2.7 feedback

John,

I try, whenever possible, to make sure a few new features sneak in every release.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Early warning of a possible slight problem in 2.7:

When I was clicking filenames in the Project Outline pane earlier this evening, the project outline suddenly went completely blank.  nothing I could do would make it display anything.  I had to exit and re-start SF2.7 to restore it.

This has happened only twice so far, within a space of a few minutes, but not since then.  I've tried withjout success to replicate it.  It was certainly something that happened within SF but it seems entirely possible that it won't happen again.  I'll report it if it does.
---
J.

Dear Jeff,

The screenshots I have sent by email illustrates a small problem.
I single-clicked on source filename rNodes.for. 
When I did so, this caused SF to highlight NOT rNodes.for but a different file, Force.for.

Double-clicking on rNodes.for did in fact open the correct file (as you see in the screenshot), but it did not cause rNodes .for to become highlighted.  The highlighting remained on the wrong filename.

Double-clicking on any other filename still caused rNodes.for to be the highlighted filename.

[ 1st SCREENSHOT SENT BY EMAIL ]

I then scrolled to Force.for and tried double-clicking that file.  The result, as you see below, was to highlight yet another incorrect filename, whilst opening Force.for correctly:#

[ 2nd SCREENSHOT SENT BY EMAIL ]

In the above screenshots, I know you can't see the mouse pointer, but, in each case, it was on the filename in the small text-box, which I had just clicked.  It was not on the filename that SF highlighted in blue.

Closing SF2.7 and restarting it caused this behaviour to go away.
---
John

John,

Two things might be occurring here.  In your first report, where everything seemed to disappear, I think there may be an odd little dragging bug.  The program might thinking you're dragging on a click, and it somehow moves everything to nowhere.  Also, there is some odd behavior related to the horizontal scrolling that I've been noticing.

Second, the selection is getting hung up because, I believe, the tooltips are somehow intercepting messages meant for the underlying tree itself.  It seems to be causing some intermittent oddities related to what's selected.

I'll be looking into the issues.  It shouldn't be too big a problem.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Dragging bug seems probably right.  I managed to do it again y experimenting with dragging to nowhere.  Only managed it one more time though, can't seem to do it again after that.

Just upgraded from 1.4 to 2.7. I have problems with the icon option. Everytime I select an icon in Options and click apply and OK and reopen the Options window the icon field is left blank, which of course also has the implication that the executable is without the selected icon.
best regards
Uwe

Uwe,

Looks like a sneaky bug.  If you don't hit Apply, just Ok, the icon is retained.  I'm looking into it now.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

John,

There was a delightful bug present in the rules for allowing a folder to be moved.  What happens when you drag a item in the project outline is that it checks that the item being moved is not being moved into a descendent folder.  For example, if you select the root folder and try to move it into one of its child folders, Simply Fortran won't allow it.

Now the bug that is present occurs if you move the root (or any) folder to a file in a subfolder.  Simply Fortran normally detects that the drag target is a file, determines the target file's folder, and moves the dragged item into the appropriate folder.

The problem occurred in checking if the target file was a descendent.  The folder of the target file was retrieved, but it wasn't used in the descendent check.  Instead, it would fail, saying that the target wasn't a  folder at all (and it wasn't) and return FALSE (not a descendent).  Simply Fortran would then allow the selected file/folder to be moved.  If the root node was selected, as is often the case, it would move the root into one of its children, and the tree would disappear.

You can quickly replicate the bug yourself.  First, select the root node.  Next, drag the root node to a file in a subfolder.  Poof, everything disappears.

Fixed now, though.  The corrected version should be available later today.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

A new build (1496) is available at http://simplyfortran.com/download/ that corrects both the icon issue and the "disappearing project files" issue.  Feel free to download and try out the incremental build.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC