Topic: Can't open project

I've been running Simply Fortran for several days with no problem. Now suddenly makefile aborts with a "can't open output file " error.

I don't know what to look for.

Roger

Re: Can't open project

Roger,

Open your Project Options window (via the Options menu).  Make sure that the Target name makes sense.

Also, you might want to use Windows Explorer to navigate to the directory where you've saved your project and try deleting the target file yourself.  There could be a permissions issue or the process could theoretically still  be running.

Let me know if you're still having problems.  If you could provide more information from your Build Status tab, that would also be helpful.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

3 (edited by rogerh 2013-12-08 03:30:07)

Very strange. When I go to the build status tab and select the text, all I get when I paste it here is a line from the source code.

The build fails when it can't open project.exe (permission denied)

Plato can compile and run the program; Simply Fortran can't. 

Roger

EDIT: Ok, I'm debugging this program with print statements and asking it to read input to stop the output. That doesn't seem to work. I have to reboot to kill it.

Edit2: The problem seems to be that the project.exe continues to run despite using the kill button.

I also find that if I open unit 2 to read a file I then cannot print to the screen.

Roger,

First, as a warning, you should avoid using units lower than, let's say, 20 on Fortran in general.  The single digit units especially can have predefined meanings and behaviors, some of them historical, but some of them current.  I would suggest maybe opening files using unit 102 rather than 2.  I'm not sure how Silverfrost's compiler handles those low-digit unit numbers (I know DEC/Compaq was quite "loose" with the definitions of the units), but Simply Fortran's compiler does tend to be quite fussy with these low-digit units.

Again, did you navigate to the directory where Project.exe exists using Windows Explorer and attempt to delete it?  I'm still wondering if there is some sort of permissions issue.

Also, what version of Simply Fortran are you using?  Early versions of the 2.x series and later versions of the 1.x series did not allow copying and pasting from the Build Status tab, but that has been fixed in the current version (2.7).  I would suggest upgrading.  Alternatively, you should be able to select everything in the Build Status tab and press Control-C to copy (a workaround other users had been using until the bug was fixed). 

If you're having trouble with the program not closing, you should consider running it in an external console.  From the Options menu, select "Launch..."  Next, click the "External Console" checkbox and click Ok.  Finally, save your project and try running it again.  You should see a Windows command window now rather than the Simply Fortran "Console" tab.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

jeff wrote:

Roger,

First, as a warning, you should avoid using units lower than, let's say, 20 on Fortran in general.  The single digit units especially can have predefined meanings and behaviors, some of them historical, but some of them current.  I would suggest maybe opening files using unit 102 rather than 2.  I'm not sure how Silverfrost's compiler handles those low-digit unit numbers (I know DEC/Compaq was quite "loose" with the definitions of the units), but Simply Fortran's compiler does tend to be quite fussy with these low-digit units.

Ok I'll try that.

Again, did you navigate to the directory where Project.exe exists using Windows Explorer and attempt to delete it?  I'm still wondering if there is some sort of permissions issue.

Yes and it wouldn't do it. I also tried ctrl-alt-delete and killed the process which did nothing.
Only reboot would stop it. Plato has no trouble with it.

Also, what version of Simply Fortran are you using?  Early versions of the 2.x series and later versions of the 1.x series did not allow copying and pasting from the Build Status tab, but that has been fixed in the current version (2.7).  I would suggest upgrading.  Alternatively, you should be able to select everything in the Build Status tab and press Control-C to copy (a workaround other users had been using until the bug was fixed).

I'm using the current version, downloaded a few days ago. 

If you're having trouble with the program not closing, you should consider running it in an external console.  From the Options menu, select "Launch..."  Next, click the "External Console" checkbox and click Ok.  Finally, save your project and try running it again.  You should see a Windows command window now rather than the Simply Fortran "Console" tab.

I think I'll stick with Plato. It doesn't have these problems. Shame, really, I like Simply Fortran's interface better.

Roger

Roger,

I'm not sure why you'd have trouble copying from the Build Status tab.  I tried it on my end, and it seems to be working. And yes, Windows will not allow you to delete a running process's executable.  It's probably why Simply Fortran can't rebuild the project as well.

Sorry for the trouble, though.  It sounds like something in the code may have changed, perhaps, that's leading to its misbehaving now.  I really can't provide much more help without further information.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I feel sure that Roger's rather abrupt, verging on contemptuous, tone, must have been entirely unintended.
Like other Fortran users, I would imagine that, if he thought about it, Roger would in fact appreciate greatly your hard work, Jeff, in creating this truly excellent Fortran development package, at very low cost to users, in a very small market.

Roger has evidently encountered some small problem - and I'll bet that it IS a small problem. 
If Roger had persevered, he'd have been able (1) to discover how your technical support exceeds that in all other software (in my experience, at least), and (2) by enabling you to find out what the problem is, to make a useful contribution for the benefit of other users.

I agree with Roger in liking SF's interface.  I, too, had one or two problems when I first started using it but I am extremely glad I stayed on board and I now find it rock solid.  I do hope Roger will come back to it when he can spare the time to get it working to its full potential.
---
J.

JohnWasilewski wrote:

I feel sure that Roger's rather abrupt, verging on contemptuous, tone, must have been entirely unintended.

You're right. I'm an old programmer lacking in social skills. No offense was intended.

Like other Fortran users, I would imagine that, if he thought about it, Roger would in fact appreciate greatly your hard work, Jeff, in creating this truly excellent Fortran development package, at very low cost to users, in a very small market.

Maybe but Plato is free and more stable.

Roger has evidently encountered some small problem - and I'll bet that it IS a small problem.

That's debatable. An executable that won't die, no hint of why in the docs, is more than a small problem.

If Roger had persevered, he'd have been able (1) to discover how your technical support exceeds that in all other software (in my experience, at least), and (2) by enabling you to find out what the problem is, to make a useful contribution for the benefit of other users.

But the problem didn't exist with Plato so why persevere with SF?

I agree with Roger in liking SF's interface.  I, too, had one or two problems when I first started using it but I am extremely glad I stayed on board and I now find it rock solid.  I do hope Roger will come back to it when he can spare the time to get it working to its full potential.

I just finished converting a 500+ line program from TrueBasic to F90 using both Plato and SF. Each have their strong points but Plato is more informative.

Roger

Gentlemen,

I don't think this discussion will be overly productive. Roger is having quite an odd problem with his compiled Fortran program, and he seems to have better luck, in his situation, with an alternative compiler.

Roger, if you do wish to pursue why your program is misbehaving in some way when compiled with Simply Fortran, I'll be happy to assist you.  For example, I would suggest enabling Fortran runtime library checks using the -fcheck=all flag.  You might also try stepping through your program using the debugger.

And John, I do appreciate your support.  But I also understand the frustration users can feel when software doesn't behave in a way they'd expect.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC