Topic: problem installation on vista

I have installed on vista and I have tried to build 'hello world' but doesn't finish the process for no file or directory
I must do any setup ?

Re: problem installation on vista

Can you provide some further information?  Where did you save the project after creating it?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I have create a directory ( fortran ) under document directory

the complete feedback is:
==============================================================================
Generating Makefile... Okay
==============================================================================
Compiling .\hello.f90
gfortran.exe: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory
Error(E42): Last command making (build\hello.o) returned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated

* Failed *

Ok, it appears that Simply Fortran is having difficulty locating the Fortran compiler.  Could you select "Compiler" from the Options menu?  What paths are listed for the Fortran and C compilers?  Depending on your operating system, the Fortran compiler path should be the following on 32-bit systems:

C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\bin\gfortran.exe

and on 64-bit systems:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\bin\gfortran.exe

If that seems correct, go ahead and click "Browse" next to the Fortran compiler path and navigate to that directory.  Does the compiler exist at that location?

I'm guessing there may have been an issue during installation.  If the compilers aren't present, I would suggest reinstalling Simply Fortran.  If they are present, let me know as there may have been another issue during installation.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Thank you for the help.

My system is vista 32bit.
the compiler is in the directory you mention but the error is always the same.
I don't if the follow note is related but
When I browse to search the compiler the browse start from where I save the project

Sounds like an odd problem you're seeing.  The directory that it will start searching in will be your project directory just due to how Windows tends to behave; it isn't a problem. 

If you navigate to C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\ with Windows Explorer, you should see a number of directories. Two of them should be mingw and x86_64-w64-mingw32.  Do both exist?  If you enter either directory, do they also exist?

One thing you could provide is a Makefile so I can check if anything odd is occurring.  Could you post the contents here?  You can view it by selecting "View Makefile" from the Project menu.

Sorry for all this trouble.  I'm not sure why you're seeing the issue.  You might consider a simple reinstallation to see if that fixes the issue.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I try to reinstall all.
at the moment All the directory exist.

the copy of makefiles is:

#
# Automagically generated by Approximatrix Simply Fortran 2.7
#
FC="C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\bin\gfortran.exe"
CC="C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\bin\gcc.exe"
AR="C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\bin\ar.exe"
TOUCH="C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\fwin\wtouch.exe"
WRC="C:\PROGRA~1\SIMPLY~1\MINGW-~1\bin\windres.exe"
RM=rm -f

IDIR=
# -I error: Directory C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\include\ does not exist
# -I error: Directory C:\Users\francesco\AppData\Local\\sfpm\32\include does not exist

LDIR=-L"C:/Program Files/Simply Fortran 2/mingw-w64/lib/"
# -L error: Directory C:\Users\francesco\AppData\Local\\sfpm\32\lib does not exist

SPECIALFLAGS=-g -m32 $(IDIR)

RCFLAGS=-O coff -F pe-i386

PRJ_FFLAGS=
PRJ_CFLAGS=
PRJ_LFLAGS=

FFLAGS=$(SPECIALFLAGS)  $(PRJ_FFLAGS) -Jmodules

CFLAGS=-g -m32  $(IDIR) $(PRJ_CFLAGS)

"build\hello.o": ".\hello.f90"
    @echo Compiling .\hello.f90
    @$(FC) -c -o "build\hello.o" $(FFLAGS) ".\hello.f90"

clean: .SYMBOLIC
    @echo Deleting build\hello.o and related files
    @$(RM) "build\hello.o"
    @echo Deleting hello.exe
    @$(RM) "hello.exe"

"hello.exe":  "build\hello.o"
    @echo Generating hello.exe
    @$(FC) -o "hello.exe" -m32 "build\hello.o" $(LDIR) $(PRJ_LFLAGS)

all: "hello.exe" .SYMBOLIC

I have reinstall all but the error is the same.

I suspect one part of the compiler was not installed.  Can you open the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\libexec\gcc\x86_64-w64-mingw32\4.8.2

You should see a number of files:

• cc1.exe

• cc1plus.exe

• collect2.exe

• f951.exe

• liblto_plugin.a

• liblto_plugin.la

• lto1.exe

• lto-wrapper.exe

I suspect one of these files is missing, which would cause the error you're seeing.  Do you have a virus scanner installed?  Did it report anything while installing Simply Fortran?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I have check the directory all the files are presents there is also a subdirectory install-tools
I have installed AVG no issue when I have installed Simply Fortran

There are same setup Simply Fortran must do on windows ( path or other ) ? I can check?

One thing you can first try is adding the following to the path:

C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\libexec\gcc\x86_64-w64-mingw32\4.8.2

The issue you're seeing is that gfortran.exe can't find one of its child programs it needs.  I had first hoped that something may have gone wrong during installation. Similar issues can also occur if you have other versions of GNU Fortran installed.

Try adding the above to your path, and let us know if you have better luck.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Upon further consideration, I suspect you might have an environment variable set that is causing the issue.  Specifically, check to see if GCC_EXEC_PREFIX is set.  If so, it will instruct the Fortran compiler to look in that directory for its support executables.  Simply Fortran does not set this during installation, but having it set will cause the problem you've reported.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

on the path I have add that suggested and now for Simply fortran I have the folowing path

C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\bin
C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\lib32
C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\lib64
C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\4.8.2

I don't have GCC_EXEC_PREFIX variable.

in the variable I don't have see any other reference to Simply fortran it's ok ?

hanks

14 (edited by davidb 2013-12-12 07:54:51)

Jeff,

The problem seems (to me) to be the compiler options that are being used:

(See the Makefile posted above)

If the OP deletes these options from the Compiler Flags under (Options, Compiler ...) it should work,

Certainly, when I use these options, I get a similar error as the OP (I'm using VISTA 32 bit too.)

I am not sure what these options are supposed to do. Right now I don't have time to check.

Regards
David.

--
David

davidb wrote:

The problem seems (to me) to be the compiler options that are being used:

(See the Makefile posted above)

If the OP deletes these options from the Compiler Flags under (Options, Compiler ...) it should work,

David, these options are provided to the resource compiler, windres.exe, when it is needed.  Normally in Simply Fortran it is used solely for adding an icon.  The flags instruct the resource compiler to output a COFF object compatible with the PE 32-bit format.  You'll notice that, because the resource compiler is never used in the makefile, these flags are also never used or mentioned, only declared.  Simply Fortran always outputs these flags; they are not entered by the user.

I'm a little confused as to why you're suggesting deleting the flags will correct the problem on Vista.  Could you provide any more information?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

f_macheda wrote:

on the path I have add that suggested and now for Simply fortran I have the folowing path

C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\bin
C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\lib32
C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\lib64
C:\Program Files\Simply Fortran 2\mingw-w64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\4.8.2

I don't have GCC_EXEC_PREFIX variable.

in the variable I don't have see any other reference to Simply fortran it's ok ?

So you did add the following to your path as well:

Does the problem still continue to exist?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Yes I have insert the new path but the problem continue.
I try to install again.