Topic: Error with compiler but not .exe

Hi all,

I'm compiling and running my source code using SimplyFortran. It compiles, and launches no problem (no bugs, results look fine). I made copies of that original folder and made further modifications to those copies without problems.  However, just now, when I made another copy of the original, and used simplyfrotran to launch it, the program runs and suddenly stops wit this error message:

"Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory reference.

Backtrace for this error:
    Backtrace is unavailable.  Please use
    the Simply Fortran debugger for similar
    functionality"

Even though nothing changed in the source code (as I just copied them) between this copy and the original. Furthermore, the .exe actually works without problem. This message appears only if I use Simplyfortran to launch. This happens with version 2.15 and 2.37.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Error with compiler but not .exe

I don't know why you don't see that with other copies, but it is possible that you've just been lucky thus far.  The error implies that your program is attempting to access memory that it does not own.  I would suggest running it via the debugger to see where the problem occurs.  If you load up that same project and click "Start" in the Debug menu, you'll be on your way. 

If you need help with debugging, I'll be happy to help.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC