Topic: Koolplot for WinBGIm

Hi Jeff,

Koolplot is a freeware open-source, simple to use, graphics library for drawing 2-dimensional graphs using WinBGim. Koolplot and its source code are without any licensing restrictions, and Koolplot is available for the MingW (GCC) compiler.

Would it be possible to add Koolplot to SF 2 as a front-end for Appgraphics 2-d plotting?

Thank you for adding Appgraphics to SF 2,

Frank

[img=PunBB bbcode test]C:\Users\Julianna\Desktop\KoolPlot.jpg[/img]

Re: Koolplot for WinBGIm

Hi Jeff,

It would be very nice to add a 2-D graphics capability to SF.

Any interest in Koolplot for WinBGIm to add to AppGraphics in SF?

http://koolplot.codecutter.org/

* koolplot  and its source code come without any licencing restriction.
* koolplot is available for the MingW (GCC port) compiler. The current version of the WinBGIm library from Colorado University is required to be able to use and compile koolplot.

Or there is MathGL, a library for scientific data visualization.

MathGL is a free library of fast C++ routines for the plotting of the data varied in one or more dimensions. MathGL has more than 50 general types of graphics for 1d, 2d and 3d data arrays. It can export graphics to bitmap and vector (EPS, SVG etc) files. It has OpenGL interface and can be used from console programs. It has functions for data handling and script MGL language for simplification of data plotting. Also it has several types of transparency and smoothed lightning, vector fonts and TeX-like symbol parsing, arbitrary curvilinear coordinate system and many over useful things. Finally it is platform independent and free (under GPL v.2.0 or later license). Installation instructions are provided in the manual (don't worry, it is straightforward).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mathgl/ … l%202.3.2/

Frank

Frank,

Sorry, I hadn't meant to ignore your original post, and indeed I haven't. I just haven't yet had much of a chance to look at the Koolplot library in detail.  I think a plotting solution would be a great addition, though.  I'll look at both Koolplot and MathGL this week (as I had promised in another thread).

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

So I've been looking a Koolplot, and I'm not sure it's  the best solution for plotting in AppGraphics.  My concern is actually centered round the core purpose of Koolplot.  It appears to be great for plotting mathematical functions (like "y = 2*cos(x)"), but it doesn't offer a great path for plotting data.  It might be better to get  a  plotting solution that could accept an array and plot the data automatically.

Let me know, though, if you'd still like to see Koolplot.  It doesn't look too hard to port (although building a Fortran wrapper could be tricky).

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Hi Jeff,

I didn't realize Koolplot's restrictions.

And I totally agree that any plotting routine adopted for Appgraphics should have the capability to plot multiple sets of data and arrays both as data points and as curves.

Sorry that I led you in the wrong direction.  I'll keep looking and may be one of SF viewers know of a lead (other than DISLIN).

Frank

Frank,

We currently have a few options available via the Simply Fortran Package manager:

http://packages.simplyfortran.com/tag/plotting.html

None of those packages, however, would integrate well with AppGraphics.  I have a few ideas about some possible packages that might be integrated into the library directly, but nothing solid yet.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC