1 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2012-04-09 10:20:18)

Topic: Syntax checking hot-key

I like to have syntax-checking on all the time but there's a snag with it.
It like it to be both faster /and/ slower - both at the same time!

I want it to be FASTER so that I don't have to wait so long for it to update an error message after I have corrected a fault.  But I also want it to be SLOWER, to give me time to edit lines of code before it cuts in and tells me that I need the the close brackets that I am doing my best to get to before it interrupts me and takes possession of the line I am typing, to tell me it's wrong!  This is a particular problem when editing  complicated lines

I have a suggestion:

Leave it running, doing syntax checks all the time, but let users temporarily suppress syntax-error messages, with an ON/OFF action hot-key and/or on-screen button, not just a menu choice.  I don't know whether 'Ctrl-\' (Ctrl-backslash) is available but, if it is, then this would be a good choice for a hot-hey.  This would make it very easy and fast to do things like,

:
..with syntax-checking
switched ON all the time
:
:
Ctrl-\          <- syntax-error msgs suspended
Edit a line
Ctrl-\          <- syntax-error msgs resumed
:
:
----
John

Re: Syntax checking hot-key

Couldn't agree more. It certainly becomes intrusive at times, a switch would be a great feature.

I like this idea, and that key is currently available.  Consider it present in 1.29.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

4 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2012-04-09 18:07:10)

That would be good, Jeff, thank you.  Further suggestion - have the <Build project> command icon automatically switch it back on, either by default or as a user-selectable option.  A bit like how cruise control automatically de-selects as soon as the driver touches the controls.
---
John