1 (edited by davidb 2017-03-03 14:39:09)

Topic: Adding source files to project

I have a very large Fortran project with more than 700 source code files.

I cannot add these to project in the usual way. If I select all files in the open dialog (control-A) they do not populate the file list window. If I select a smaller, but still large, list they do not populate the file list window. Only smaller lists work.

The only way I have been able to add the files is to drag and drop from Windows explorer to the Project Outline pane.

Then when I try to interact with the program, fwin crashes and I get a blank window with borders.

Perhaps I am being too ambitious.

--
David

Re: Adding source files to project

David,

If you're using Windows, then that behavior is a limitation of the Windows file dialog.  There is a relatively low limit on the length of the path, and that limit is "total."  Selecting multiple files means the sum total of the filenames' lengths are subject to this limit.  I'll see if we can extend it, but it may be a product of the Windows API.

Dragging in this case is probably the best solution.

However, Simply Fortran certainly shouldn't crash.  I'll replicate the scenario and try to sort out the issue.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

3 (edited by davidb 2017-03-04 09:47:30)

Jeff,

I should have said I was using version 2.34 on Windows 10. I am updating to version 2.35 now.

I have given up any hope of getting this set of files to compile in the timescale I have available because it uses too many non standard Fortran features. However, it would be great if you look and see if you can replicate the crash issue.

Thanks for the support.
David.

--
David

David,

I've looked into the selection through the file dialog, and I can increase the limit of files selected, but only to a certain point.  It appears I can get somewhere in the hundreds to be selected, but Windows effectively limits it beyond that (due to the API call being used).

In regards to the program crashing when dragging files, the actual problem was pretty simple.  For each and every file dragged in, Simply Fortran was attempting to update its Project Outline panel.  When I dragged in all the files in LAPACK, somewhere around 1700 Fortran files, the program froze as it would redraw the project outline for each and every single file, effectively causing Simply Fortran to become unresponsive.

What I've changed is to postpone the redrawing operation until all files have been added to the project.  With this change, Simply Fortran was able to accept all 1700+ files with a slight delay as the string processing and bookkeeping occurred.  I'll get a bug fix build out sometime in the next day or two that contains the fix.  These problems should only affect the Windows version.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,

Thank you.

I have found Drag and drop is actually the easiest way to add files to the program cool.

Best Regards,
David.

--
David