Topic: Two issues in Version 1.34

I'd like to let users know that two issues seem to have surfaced in version 1.34.  Specifically:

• Closing tabs may lead to instabilities in the IDE.

• Whole project outlining may be non-functional.

A bug fix release should be out in days to correct the issues.  If anyone notices any other issues, please let me know.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Re: Two issues in Version 1.34

The issues mentioned in the original post have been resolved in Version 1.35, which has just been released.  Users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to the latest version.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,

Although I appreciate your hard work in getting a new version, I must say I am somewhat troubled that v1.34 was released, and then just 2 days later, a new version, with the message "users are STRONGLY encouraged to upgrade..." (my emphasis on 'strongly').

The reason I am troubled is that SF installation takes at least half an hour for me. I have no trouble installing other software, but SF is incredibly slow. (And it has nothing to do with the time to download the install file, that is fine.) For example, just at the start it "calculates space" and that alone takes 5+ minutes. I haven't even selected anything yet, so taking 5+ minutes to calculate space seems quite strange. Then later in the install it goes through this again apparently.

In addition, each new installation will lose my projet settings for existing projects. For example, the compiler options I have set (e.g., optimization level, warning level, etc.) simply disappear. I always set the editor to show the line at 72 char., and that vanishes after the new version. Et al.

Suffice it to say that although I appreciate new features and bug fixes, the prospect of installing SF never is wlecome.

Regards

You make a very good point about the slow speed of the installation.  I'm aware of the issue since switching to Windows standard installers, and I believe the issue is related to how Simply Fortran handles files during the install.  Additionally, while the way the files are handled in the installer is not ideal, Simply Fortran contains an exceptionally large number of files, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10K+, which doesn't help installation speed. 

I think much of the slowness could be resolved, but it will probably never be drastically faster.  I also agree that the deletion of program settings is infuriating.  I'll add that to the list of issues to fix.

This release, only two days following 1.34, was necessary due to the two glaring issues that somehow were not found during testing.  Now that 1.35 is available, the next release will probably take a month or so to be released.  I'll make sure to address the points you've mentioned (slow install, program settings) for 1.36.

I appreciate the input, and if you have any other ideas or issues, please don't hesitate to post them.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff - thanks for the reply. You always address the user issues quickly and I really appreciate that.

Regards

Hi -

I installed v1.36. Good point - my project editor settings were retained. Bad point - it still loses project compiler settings (e.g., optimization setting). Neutral point - installation speed - largely unchanged.

As I watched the installation, with your previous explanation of why it is slow, I can understand it. However, there is one point of the installation that you may take a look at - that is, after selecting the installation type (e.g., "Typical"). There is a very lengthy delay, a few minutes. What is troubling is not the delay, but that the user gets no feedback during this delay. The install just sits there with the hourglass cursor. All other parts of the installation (which come later) give some kind of updating "Status". Thus, it is tempting to think that the installer is hung, and try to abort it, if one has never gone it before. From my casual observation, other installation programs give some kind of status or message whenever a lengthy operation is ongoing. Just a suggestion.

Thanks

I'll look into getting all settings to persist.  The compiler settings should have been retained as well, but I didn't implement it.

The odd hanging in the installer is annoying.  I suspect some other users might not see such delays depending on system characteristics.  For example, two test systems used here do not exhibit any appreciable delays whatsoever.  In contrast, there are two test systems where the delay does occur, but the systems are also considerably lower-spec.  I'll see if I can get a status bar into that stage of the installation if possible.

Thanks for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Hi -

I installed v1.37. Two good points -

1) project compiler settings are retained

2) although overall installation speed is largely unchanged, the place where there was a long delay and no status now only took about 5-10 seconds

Thank you for the improvements.