Topic: Duplicate Libraries Build Message after Sonoma

After I updated to Sonoma, I got this when I "built" using making changes to an earlier project:

==============================================================================
Generating Makefile... Okay
==============================================================================
Compiling DualBase10Solver.F95
Generating target
-macosx_version_min has been renamed to -macos_version_min
ld: warning: ignoring duplicate libraries: '-lgcc'

* Complete *

How do I clean this up and how/where to I remove "... duplicate libraries: -lgcc"?

Thank you,
Paul

Re: Duplicate Libraries Build Message after Sonoma

Paul,

It's a warning, so it isn't a huge problem. Can you send along the makefile or post it here?  I'm wondering if there is a legacy flag present.

Also, what version and build of Simply Fortran are you using?  Is it an Intel or Apple silicon Mac?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Thank you Jeff,

It was the Apple Silicone version 3.3.1 Build 3974 (GTK+) Confirmed.

Of course, before I sent the MakeFile, I figured I'd save code, project, and build one more time. And it came out clean as a whistle.

So, as a suspicion, I opened another project and without a Save of source, or project, I did a build (again, code I've run before). I got the same Dup warning.

I get a "No App to open this" type message so I can't copy/paste it in here. I'll send it to you via email.

4 (edited by designer 2023-10-09 17:50:29)

To follow up, it appears that even though the source code was saved, the project was saved, and a successful Build was made with an Apple system, or Simply Fortran, version previously, if I just launch the project and Build, the warning appears. If I Save the Source Code, Save the Project, and Build, there is no warning. I'm not saying all three of those steps are necessary, but it appears at least one of them is.

I have the same problem, but the steps noted above did not fix it for me. First, I am just moving from a late (2019) Intel Macbook Pro (running Sonoma) to a Mac Mini M2, running Ventura 13.6 instead of Sonoma because the latest version of gfortran (12.2) was not yet certified for Sonoma and BBEdit warns against using Sonoma yet too. I did a completely fresh install of everything (no Migration Assistant), Xcode 15.0 and Command Line Helpers, and gfortran 12.2. I and copied the project files over after mounting the Mac Mini as external hard drive to the Macbook Pro. I downloaded a fresh installation of Simply Fortran 3.31 for this hardware.

In my project, I chose Save All under the File menu, then Save Project under the Project menu, then Build, getting:

-macosx_version_min has been renamed to -macos_version_min
ld: warning: ignoring duplicate libraries: '-lgcc'

Then I ran Clean and Build but the same warnings are given.

There's a worse problem than this, but I will post about that in a new thread.

Eric

The duplicate library warning for -lgcc is just a warning, though annoying.  I'm wondering if Apple possibly updated the linker to complain about it because our compiler has probably been emitting the duplicate libraries for years.  I'll look into correcting it.

The "-macosx_version_min has been renamed to -macos_version_min" warning is a bit annoying, but it appears Apple did change an option syntax in their linker.  We'll update the compiler to output the correct option to the linker.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC