Topic: Stuck in Building Phase

I'm using SF 1.36 Build 1057 on Win 8 Pro 64-bit. When I load the hello world example and try to build it, the "Building..." message stays in the lower right corner of the window and nothing else happens. Here's what appears in the Build Status window:

==============================================================================
Open Watcom Make Version 1.9 (Built on May 17 2012)
Portions Copyright (c) 1988-2002 Sybase, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Source code is available under the Sybase Open Watcom Public License.
See http://www.openwatcom.org/ for details.
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Simply Fortran\mingw-w64\bin\gfortran.exe" -c -o build\hello.o -g -m32   -Jmodules .\hello.f90

I installed SF on another Win 8 system and it works fine. Any ideas as to what I should look for?

TIA
Tom Lake

Re: Stuck in Building Phase

Tom,

I'm not sure why you're having the issue.  It is puzzling why the compiler would lock up on one system.  Could you try changing one option?  From the Project Options dialog (accessible via the Options menu), select "64-bit" under architecture and click Ok.  Next, save the project.  Finally, select Clean from the Build menu and try recompiling the example.  I'm guessing it will not fix your issue, but it's a quick thing to check.

Another thing you can do to provide additional information is to add the verbose output flag to the compiler.  From the Compiler Options dialog (again, via the Options menu), add "-v" to the Fortran compiler flags box (you can type directly into it).  Click Ok, clean, and attempt to build the project.  The output may provide a hint as to where the issue is.

Sorry for the trouble!

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

The same thing happens. I selected 64-bit and added -v to the compiler options. I don't get any more debugging info than without -v, though.

==============================================================================
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Simply Fortran\mingw-w64\bin\gfortran.exe" -c -o build\hello.o -g   -Jmodules .\hello.f90

Tom,

One last thing, could you attempt to run gfortran from the command line?  If you open a command prompt, try typing "gfortran --version".  If the installer worked, it should be on your path. 

I'm still not sure why you're seeing this behavior.  I'm looking into it from my end as well.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

jeff wrote:

Tom,

One last thing, could you attempt to run gfortran from the command line?  If you open a command prompt, try typing "gfortran --version".  If the installer worked, it should be on your path. 

I'm still not sure why you're seeing this behavior.  I'm looking into it from my end as well.

Hmm. You may be on to something. Even when I run the CMD prompt as Administrator, I get an Access Denied error message when I try to run gfortran from the command line. I'll try actually logging on as administrator and see if anything changes.

Tom,

Good detective work!  When you installed Simply Fortran, what user were you logged in as?  I'm wondering if perhaps there is an issue with the installer.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

jeff wrote:

Tom,

Good detective work!  When you installed Simply Fortran, what user were you logged in as?  I'm wondering if perhaps there is an issue with the installer.

I log in with my outlook.com account which is the same one under which I installed SF. When I log in as local administrator, I still get Access Denied when trying to run gfortran --version! Curiouser and curiouser.

I seem to have the same "busy building" message on the bottom left of the main S-F application window; as a result, from building a .f90 program with a wrong keyword - for example, 'halt' does cause an error:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Simply Fortran\mingw-w64\bin\gfortran.exe" -c -o "build\normblood.o" -g   -Jmodules ".\normblood.f90"
.\normblood.f90:26:

halt
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
Error(E42): Last command making (build\normblood.o) returned a bad status
Should this file be deleted [Yes/No] ?

But the S-F Application is still showing "Building..."; as a result, getting rid of the offending bad keyword, saving the file, attempting to build again, but it won't build because a pop-up pops-up "Still Working": Info Icon: "Simply Fortran is currently busy with another build task." But I can't seem to kill the S-F running "Building..." task without just closing the S-F application and reloading the project and its .f90 file; as a result, the corrected .f90 file builds just fine without errors.

This is a Gateway laptop with installed Windows 8 2012, Intel B960 processor, and I attempted the same fault running the S-F app under 'Admin' option and it still does not kill the S-F 'Building...' system lock up fault.

Well. Not sure what happened to fix the problem but I did register the S-F application and now running my same f90 file code with the 'halt' falt caused the S-F application to complete and just complain a little - for example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Simply Fortran\mingw-w64\bin\gfortran.exe" -c -o "build\normblood.o" -g   -Jmodules ".\normblood.f90"
.\normblood.f90:26:

halt
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
Error(E42): Last command making (build\normblood.o) returned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated

* Complete *

Therefore, as I write this reply to my first bug report I must say I don't see the bug I once saw.

The S-F Application still has the problem after building error that it just locks up "Building..." and I can't break out unless I close the S-F application and restart the S-F  application.

John,

Sorry for the delayed response.  I'll look into the issue.  My guess is that the build process is somehow getting stuck due to that question, "Should this file be deleted [Yes/No] ?" which shouldn't be emitted when executed from the IDE.  I'll let you know as soon as a fix is available (should be today at some point).

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Thank you for your review.

John,

I've rolled in a fix for the bug you've reported into version 1.39 at the last minute.  The new release is currently undergoing some final testing.  A release should be available tomorrow that should no longer cause the build to lock up (hopefully).

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

John,

Version 1.39 is now available at http://simplyfortran.com/download/.  The fix for the bug you described has been included.  Let us all know if you notice any other problems.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

jeff wrote:

John,

Version 1.39 is now available at http://simplyfortran.com/download/.  The fix for the bug you described has been included.  Let us all know if you notice any other problems.

It works! Thank you! Why did the problem only occur on some computers and not others?

Tom L

In John's case, he had found that the build system would lock up on a question issued by the Make system.  The question's appearance depended on the stage at which the compiler failed.  If it had started writing the output file and then reported an error, the build system would notice that the error had occurred and would ask if the file should be removed.  Most compilation errors, however, are caught prior outputting the object file, so there was no file to ask about yet.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC