Topic: Intermittent Problem Navigating to Definitions

Hi,

Has anyone experienced an issue with navigating to procedure or variable definitions in Simply Fortran?

On my system, hovering over a symbol or using Ctrl + Left Click sometimes works, but sometimes does nothing. The problem seems intermittent, and I haven't been able to identify any clear pattern. For example, it may jump to a variable definition in another module file, but then stop working shortly afterward.

I'm using Simply Fortran 3.14 on Windows 10.

Has anyone seen this before or found a workaround?

Best regards,

Re: Intermittent Problem Navigating to Definitions

If you are indeed using 3.14, that version is quite old.  I would guess you're actually using 3.41? However, the navigate to definition feature relies on Simply Fortran constructing a "scope" database for the current location.  In certain circumstances, constructing the list of known variables, modules, procedures, etc. can be complicated if there are a large number of modules involved.  The background processing can take a substantial amount of time in some circumstances.  It might start working again if you wait.  But then again, I'll need to look into if it is failing.  Simply Fortran does attempt to background-process all scope databases for all locations, but it is a low-priority task because it is costly.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

3

Re: Intermittent Problem Navigating to Definitions

Jeff,

Yes, it's version 3.41, my mistake.

After your explanation, I did notice that the feature seems to work better if I leave Simply Fortran open for a while. Still, the issue seems a bit intermittent. I used Code::Blocks before and don't remember having the same problem there, though I don't know how its navigation feature works internally. Just mentioning it in case it helps.

Thanks for the explanation and for looking into it.