Topic: error when building, Temp directory

Hello,

I've just installed SimplyFortran for the first time, version 1.33, Windows XP. The installation goes fine, and SF startups without any problem. So I've chosen to create the "hello world" example, but when I invoke the compilation from Buld->Build Now! I get the following error in the "build status" panel:

==============================================================================
"D:\TEMP" non Š riconosciuto come comando interno o esterno,
un programma eseguibile o un file batch.

* Complete *

wich is the typical error returned by cmd.exe when you enter an unknown command.
(translated it is: ""D:\TEMP" is not recognized as an internal or external command, an executable program or a batch file")

Now, in my system I have two partitions:

C: (WinXP and programs)
D: (Data)

After installing WinXP I did set the OS environment variables for the user TEMP directory from "C:\Documents and settings\...\Temp" to "D:\Temp (User)", and the system TEMP directory from "C:\Windows\Temp" to "D:\Temp (Win)".
SimplyFortran is installed in the standard "C:\program files\Simply Fortran" path, as I haven't changed any option during the installation, everything was left to the default.
So the TEMP directory resides on a different partition than where Win and SimplyFortran are installed, and its name contains a whitspace character. What's strange in there is that the error returned names "D:\TEMP", but it should have been "D:\Temp (User)"...and D:\TEMP doesn't even exist!

I've explored both the IDE options and the project options looking for the directories, but every one is "C:\program files\Simply Fortran\ecc.", and none of them lists anything like "D:\*".

Surely it's something simple I am missing, thank you in advance!

Re: error when building, Temp directory

ok, I've created two directories:

D:\aaa
D:\bbb

and I've set them as the temporary directories for Windows, now everything goes fine! It seems like the problems are caused by the whitespace characters in the path of the temporary directory, or actually in its name. Dunno, anyway it's not a big deal, it's just a matter of renaming

"D:\Temp (Win)" to "D:\Temp(Win)"
and
"D:\Temp (User)" to "D:\Temp(User)"

and setting them as the temp directories in the OS environment variables...

hope this helps!

Strong recommendation:

1.  Download a copy of 'Visual Subst' from www.netwind.com
2.  Run it.  Create virtual drives called (say) G:\ and F:\ where
     G:\ represents the  full pathname to Simply Fortran
     (mine is in C:\Program Files (x86)\FORTRAN\SF\)
     F:\ represents the  full pathname to your SF projects
     (mine is D:\JWasilewski\DEV\Fortran\)
     Create any other virtual drives you need (eg to temp)
3.  Tell SF the new much shorter pathnames to SF and
     to your Fortran projects.
4.  Use the SF -> Toolbox menu and configure a VSubst tool
     to switch on the above after any reboot.
----
John

thanks John, didn't know this tool, I'll use it if any other trouble comes out!

given some try, at last, I can say that the problem was not caused by the whitespace character, but from the bracket: '('

the solution is to have paths not containing such characters

The GNU Fortran compiler does seem to have serious issues with parentheses being present in paths.  I had not heard about this issue before.  I'll look into a more general solution, but John's fix does seem to work wonderfully.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC