Topic: What a great package this is!

Over the last few weeks since I started using SF, I have had a great deal of help from Jeff in getting started with it.  I am an experienced F77 user and I am becoming more proficient with F90. 

My aims in joining the Simply Fortran Fortran / GFortran 'club' are threefold.

One has been to port to SF/GF a roughly 8000 line F77 program that I got working on Compaq Visual Fortran but can no longer develop on that compiler because mine refuses to recognise its serial number when I try to re-install it in Win Doze 7/64.

My second objective is to develop a GUI for my project using the simply astounding piece of work called DISLIN. 

Finally, I set out to learn - AT LONG LAST ! - how to use a source level debugger.

Getting started has not been easy, partly because there were a few things Jeff still needed to do to Simply Fortran, partly because I was at first baffled by Dislin, and partly because I was at first baffled by the debugger as well! 

Jeff has been a huge help.  it has, alas, all been done by a great many exchanged emails, instead of on this forum.  My offer, as a kind of indirect pay-back, is that if there are any other reasonably experienced programmers out there with similar startup problems to mine, who perhaps would lile to develop a fist class Win Doze interfact for their F90 programs using Dislin or are equally baffled by how to get going with the really fantastic debugger, just post on here and I'll help, as Jeff helped me.

I am absolutely delighted with SF, by the way.  My coding and debugging have never been so efficient as they now are, and Dislin is looking very, very promising.
---
John

Re: What a great package this is!

Ver.1.17 is excellent.  I note the project name in that now appears at the top of the LH pane but I especially like the in-line error messages that appear in source code in real time.  This is very clever stuff, Jeff.
The above is enough in itself but is there anything else that is also new?
---
John

There were three other major changes.  The "Clean" functionality has been updated to only delete files built during the Build process.  The IDE will no longer delete everything in the build and module directory when cleaning, only files that are built from project files.  The second change is an improved Fortran 77 outline and index engine, which should eliminate some issues reported by users.  Finally, the handling of dependencies related to the INCLUDE statement is now user-configurable; the user can elect to process INCLUDEd files as dependencies for compilation purposes even if the files are not being managed as part of the current project.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I trying to use DISLIN with Simply Fortran (SF) but cannot get it to compile.
Can someone provide the appropriate compiler options that need to be set for SF to compile with DISLIN?

The environmental variables have been set to C:\DISLIN and the path to C:\DISLIN\WIN

Thank you for any assistance.

Frank

Frank,

I've just sent you a private email with an example of how to use DISLIN with Simply Fortran.  It should be plenty to get you started.  If anyone else needs any assistance, feel free to contact support@approximatrix.com.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,
I am at the same stage as Frank with similar problems - could you please copy me into your reply.
Thanks, Brian

Brian,

I'll email you a sample project tomorrow at some point.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

BrianW wrote:

Jeff,
I am at the same stage as Frank with similar problems - could you please copy me into your reply.
Thanks, Brian

Brian,

I sent you a private email this past Friday with an example project.  Did you receive it?  Just wanted to make sure.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC