Topic: MSFLIB and MSFWIN

Hi, just downloaded and installed a copy of latest SF, I like it so far.

Could not compile existing code developed under previous version of Intel Fortran because within the source it has the command lines:

USE MSFLIB
USE MSFWIN

The compiler stops in the makefile stage on the MSFLIB line with the following message:

Use Msflib
Fatal Error: Can't open module file 'msflib.mod' for reading at (1): No such file or directory
Error(E42): Last command making (build\ProcessCommandLine.o) returned a bad status
Error(E02): Make execution terminated

* Failed *

Can anyone tell me if this can be resolved without overhauling the code?

Thanks!

Re: MSFLIB and MSFWIN

The MSFLIB and MSFWIN modules are proprietary modules harkening back to Microsoft Fortran Powerstation.  Because Intel Fortran is a quasi-descendent of the Microsoft compiler (via DEC/HP/Compaq), it still provides support for these modules.

Simply Fortran doesn't provide these modules or any compatibility solution.  Depending on your code, though, there may not be too much overhauling necessary.  These modules provided some file system access and commmand line processing functionality prior to equivalent functions being added to the Fortran standard.  If your software is simply using things like CHANGEDIRQQ or similar routines, these can be swapped out for Simply Fortran equivalents (CHDIR in this example).

If you code uses any of the MSFLIB/MSFWIN graphics routines, though, there is no drop-in replacement for Simply Fortran.  The scale of an overhaul really depends on what your program is doing.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

So the way I proceeded was to comment out those lib calls and continue to compile. Unfortunately I immediately ran into the GETARG command, which is different than the GNU command of the same name.

Thanks for your help.

I would suggest using GET_COMMAND_ARGUMENT as it is part of the Fortran standard.

Let us know if you have luck getting the software to work without those modules.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC