Topic: SF 2.11 Hangs Occasionally when compiling

Hi Jeff,

I would like to mention an intermittent problem that I've experienced with SF 2.11.

Occasionally SF hangs up when compiling after editing a subroutine. I cannot identify the problem however.

For example, when generating a Makefile... SF occasionally hangs...

but compilation doesn't appear to end and no *.exe is created.

When this occurs I must exit SF, reload the project, and compile again. 

Then the program compiles and everything is fine.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Frank

Re: SF 2.11 Hangs Occasionally when compiling

Frank,

I haven't heard of this behavior, but I'll attempt to replicate it on my end and/or search for possible lockups.  Did you experience anything like this on 2.10 by chance?  Just wondering if you feel like it is a new bug.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I've used 2.11 quite a bit but I have not noticed this reported behaviour. 
My problem is that SF does work, and it's the program I've written that doesn't!

I make no suggestion that Frank is doing anything incorrectly, but I thought it might be helpful in tracking down the problem to have my report of no similar problem.
---
John

Jeff,

Q: Did you experience anything like this on 2.10 by chance?  Just wondering if you feel like it is a new bug.

A: I've not seen this problem with earlier versions of SF, however I've not revised the subroutine in question for some time so it might not be version specific.  Of note is that the subroutine is DISLIN intensive.

When it occurs SF reports the usual "Generating Makefile... ", but that's all that occurs and SF hangs.

My intent is to just give notice of a possible intermittent bug and that other users pay attention if they experience something similar.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank,

When it appears to lock up on "Generating Makefile..." does the Indexing say "Dependencies" or a filename possibly in the status bar at the bottom of Simply Fortran?   If that status is not idle, it can block generation of the Makefile.  If the indexing routine gets locked up or, more likely, it is working on a particularly difficult and long Fortran source file, it will block generation of the Makefile until complete.

I'm just describing why it might occur.  I'm not implying that it is the desired behavior, though.  I would still call this a bug even if the above conditions are indeed true.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Frank,

I  haven't definitively solved your problem just yet, but I have resolved some possible performance issues within the indexing thread.  It should be more performant.  Furthermore, there were some possible spots where problems could occur when checking if dependencies were completely calculated.  The issue could lead to incorrect dependencies in the Makefile simply because the dependencies weren't actually finished computing. It came down to popping a request for work out of a queue prior to actually doing the work (calculating a file's dependencies), making the build system erroneously assume all dependencies were up to date.

I plan on continuing to look for the apparent deadlock you've described.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,

Thank you for evaluating SF for this possible intermittent problem. I'm sure all SF user's very much appreciate your extra effort in developing such a seamless Fortran compiler as SF.  As I continue to use and enjoy the simplicity of SF, I must say that I've not since encountered the problem that I described above.  Either I'm more careful and perhaps slower in selecting SF options, or it's possible that some code in my program caused SF to hiccup.  Either way, I'll keep you inform of any new developments.

Thanks again,
Frank