Topic: Linux

I've been having some fun with an old but still perfectly usable laptop, installing and playing with Linux 'Debian' systems.  Some of these are just superb.  I particularly lke 'Xubuntu', for example.  So very efficient, fast and nice-looking desktops, with tons of applications.

Recalling (IIRR) that Simply Fortran runs under CygWin, does that mean, by any chance, that you might one day be able to make it run in a Linux environment?

I'm nearly sure that this is a daft question, but that's never stopped me from asking them before!
---
John

Re: Linux

John,

Simply Fortran runs great under WINE on GNU/Linux and *BSDs.  I use it daily myself.  Make sure first that WINE is installed, then just download the Simply Fortran installer and run it.  There are a handful of users that I know of using it on Linux exclusively.

The only point to note is that Simply Fortran will continue to build Windows executables.  It will not be using the native Fortran compiler. Also, I have some problems on occasion with the Start panel under Linux; it doesn't seem to populate entirely due to a missing feature in WINE.  Other than that, it does run fine.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC