Topic: No Input Echo for SF Built-in Console?

I just found Simply Fortran today, and as a Fortran programmer lost no time in successfully compiling and running some old Fortran 77 projects.  However, although everything else seems to work fine, I noticed that when providing input on the built in console, the input is not echoed until the CR is pressed, then everything shows up.  When I choose "Run in an External Console", then the input is echoed as expected as I type.

I tried looking through all the forum postings, and the help file, but perhaps I just missed it.

Like I said, everything seems to work fine otherwise.  Is there a configuration setting I'm missing?  Did I get a bad installation?  Is it working as it's supposed to?

Re: No Input Echo for SF Built-in Console?

It is working as it is supposed to.  You should see the text you're typing at the bottom of the console tab in the text entry box.  It will not be provided to the program until you hit enter or click "Send."

This behavior is by design.  The internal console is really only useful for line-centric input/output, much like traditional Fortran i/o.  Until you type a whole line and hit enter, most Fortran programs will not respond anyway.  If you do need more real-time interaction, it is best to use the external console option, which is just a Windows command window.

Are you not seeing the text you type in the box at the bottom of the Console tab?  It should appear there as you type.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Well, I feel stupid!  Yes, it's there.  I have a rather large monitor, so it's way down on the screen and I just never noticed it - I was always fixated at the location of the program-generated text.  Everything else works great - really a nice product!

I'm not completely satisfied with how the Console tab works now, and I certainly understand your confusion.  I think it could definitely be improved.   I'm glad you're generally happy with Simply Fortran!

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC