Topic: unti-testing with simplyfortran

Hello!

1. Can I debug into third-patry dll with simplyfortran?

2. Can i have >1 projects at the same time (for example dll project and command-line project)?

Scenario is to have unittest-project and library-project.

3. Is there a plan to add http://flibs.sourceforge.net/ftnunit.html unit tests into ide? Special test-project type, UI to run specific test, UI to view test results

Re: unti-testing with simplyfortran

I'll answer each question you've asked below:

1. Can I debug into third-patry dll with simplyfortran?

Yes, you can debug into a third-party DLL, but there are some major caveats.  Basically, the DLL must have been compiled by a GNU compiler with debugging enabled.  A DLL compiled with Microsoft's toolchain will not contain debugging information that is 100% compatible with Simply Fortran's debugger.  You might get lucky, but it's doubtful it will work.

2. Can i have >1 projects at the same time (for example dll project and command-line project)?

In versions 1.x and 2.x, you cannot have multiple projects open in Simply Fortran simultaneously.  This feature is planned, however, for version 3.  There is currently no timeline for its release, however. 

That said, Simply Fortran was designed to have multiple instances of itself running.  A user would start Simply Fortran twice, loading a different project into each instance of the program.  I do understand that most users don't find this situation ideal, which is why changes will be coming in version 3.

3. Is there a plan to add http://flibs.sourceforge.net/ftnunit.html unit tests into ide?

I've looked into/considered a number of Fortran unit test frameworks for inclusion into Simply Fortran.  There has not been much interest coming from users, however.  If enough people think such an addition would be useful, it can be added to the queue of new features.

In the meantime, it should be easy enough to manually compile.  The flibs project is generally compatible with Simply Fortran.  I'll be happy to help you get started if you need some assistance.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

When you put multiple projects in version 3 it would be good if you could provide a mechanism for "inter-project" dependencies and calls.

For example,

Project 1 consists of a main program and "other" files (subroutines, modules ...)

Project 2 consists of a main program; has its own "other" files, but also calls subroutines in Project 1.

This is needed, for example, for Project 2 to be a "test" program which calls subroutines in Project 1.

You would need to have somewhere to enter the project dependencies and modify the makefile build process.

--
David

David,

That's a good point.  There's a substantial amount of complexity with multiple projects, which is why this feature would have to be included in a major version update.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I know how complex this is.

I have multiple project support in my own build tool (command line tool written in python). This also has support for module/sub-module tree dependencies even though these aren't supported yet by any compilers that I own.

So definitely willing to wait for v. 3.0+.

--
David