Topic: Errors when upgraded from 1.45 to 2.0

I have been using SimplyFortran 1.45 mostly successfully (except dll issues). This morning I upgraded to version 2.0 and all the working projects suddenly started giving me all kind of errors.

I initially started getting error "Unexpected junk in formal argument list at (1)" in one of my files. Following is the form of the routine which caused the first error:

SUBROUTINE CalcProperty(Num,ID_InputSet,ID_State,CalcTransportProperties,InputArray,PropOutputArray,CompositionID)

When I changed it to:

SUBROUTINE CalcProperty(Num,ID_InputSet,ID_State,CalcTransportProperties, &
                                      InputArray,fPropOutputArray,CompositionID)

The above mentioned file compiled correctly, but another kind of error started popping up in a different file. The errors are all over the place.

So with out making any changes, I went back to version 1.45 and tried to build the same projects. Now even 1.45 is giving me errors. I am totally lost on what happened.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards
Sankar

Regards
skp

Re: Errors when upgraded from 1.45 to 2.0

The problems you're seeing are most likely due to compiler options.  For example, in the error you've shown above, your code exceeds the allowed maximum per-line character count.  You can fix this via an option that is now located in Project Options under the Fortran tab.   The other issues could be related to a number of things.  Without seeing them, I would guess:

• You need to enable the C preprocessor (also in Project Options->Fortran)

• Your project uses modules and you haven't Cleaned your project prior to Building.  Modules generally require recompiling your project when the compiler version changes

Have a look at the Project Options window to help figure out what settings didn't translate when moving to version 2.21 (I hope you're upgrading to 2.21 and not 2.0).  The issue with modules seems quite probable since you're seeing errors now under 1.45; the old version may be encountering some newer modules and complaining.

Without seeing more errors, I can't really point out exactly what has changed.  Feel free to post more of them here or email them to support@approximatrix.com.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,

The errors have been fixed by assigning a custom line length and also by cleaning the project and rebuilding.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regards
Sankar

Regards
skp

Sankar,

That's good news!  There were some issues when Simply Fortran transitioned to its new Project Options format, sometime around version 2.5.  Many of the compiler flags and options were moved from a Simply-Fortran-globally-declared position into project-specific position, which led to some hiccups for people transitioning.  Hopefully there won't be any similar transitions in the future that are necessary.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC