1 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2015-03-26 11:34:17)

Topic: Filenames in SAVE-AS

SAVE-AS, in the editor, triggers a file selection and naming dialog. 

Is there, or could there be, any optional setting in the editor which will enable users to elect to have the dialog enter the current filename in the SAVE-AS file name field, instead of leaving it blank?

When using the same subdirectory, we can then just edit the filename, instead of  having to type it in.

When saving to a different subdirectory, we can just keep the same filename, instead of  having to type it in (or still edit it).

This will save the minor inconvenience of having to type in the filename, save the slightly less minor inconvenience of having to move the dialog box out of the way and peer at the editor tab to see what exact string of characters we have been using for that filename. 
It will also obviate the risk of accidental errors in naming the SAVEd-AS file.

I realise that some users will not want SAVE-AS to do any of this.  That's why I asked whether there is an optional setting for it.  (eg similar to "Improved save location")
---
John

Re: Filenames in SAVE-AS

John,

I think this change makes sense.  I'll try adding it for the next release.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

If a tab already has a filename and the user selects "Save As," the file dialog is now pre-populated with the current filename.  The dialog will ask for confirmation if you overwrite an existing file in this scenario.   This new behavior is present in the development version, and it should be more in line with standard Windows behavior.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

That's great Jeff, thanks.
---
John