1 (edited by davidb 2015-04-01 05:43:07)

Topic: Version 2.23 Programming fonts

Thanks for including some new programming fonts in version 2.23. I have noticed however that the font is not displayed properly when using the built-in console window. While a program is running and printing to the console window, the text is quite difficult to read and only reverts to the correct font once the program has finished.

I am using DejaVu Sans Mono mostly, but have also tried the new Droid Sans Mono Slashed, and this issue occurs with both fonts.

--
David

Re: Version 2.23 Programming fonts

David,

It does look a bit odd.  There were some changes to the default drawing code to support coloring the console to match the rest of Simply Fortran.  I'll look into the problem and provide an updated build once it's fixed.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

David,

A little more information: it looks like an unnecessary call to a Windows API function

SetBkMode(hDC, TRANSPARENT);

is to blame for the odd drawing issue.  When the console is read-only, though, the call isn't problematic.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

When do you think will new build will be ready, please, Jeff?
I am looking forward to trying the new fonts.
---
John.

The new fonts are available in 2.23 now.  A new build of that version, which fixes the font drawing (which just looks odd but still works), should be available today or tomorrow.  Certification of the installer by a Microsoft testing suite takes some time to run.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

That's fine Jeff. No need  to hurry - I am glad you found the problem.

John, the new font's are in version 2.23 as Jeff says but the font will not be enabled automatically. Just pick the "Droid Sans Mono Slashed" or "Anonymous Pro" from the list of fonts under the Options>Editor Settings dialog.

I m going to stick with "DejaVu Sans Mono" (which I have installed separately) since this is what I use in all my editors here and at my workplace, but the "Droid Sans Mono Slashed" font is very similar so a good font too.

You can install your own fonts in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder, which is where Jeff has put the new fonts.

--
David

A new build (1876) is now available on the Download page that fixes the odd text output in the console.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

This is working fine now. Thanks very much.

--
David