1 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2015-04-01 22:05:47)

Topic: SF under Linux

Jeff has mentioned before that Simply Fortran can run under Linux (as long as 'WINE' is installed first) but I had no idea until a few moments ago how effortlessly it does so. 

The SF .msi install files can just be executed exactly as downloaded.  This includes both SF and SFPM.  Then, in SFPM, all packages that are needed can be installed exactly as if running it under Windows.  I have just copied, from a Windows system to a Linux system, two SF project directories: a static library, and a very large application that links from the library and needs DISLIN from SFPM.  I then ran SF under Linux by double clicking the SF icon, opened both projects one after another, and compiled and loaded them without needing to make any alterations to any of the source code or any of the settings.  My executable then ran perfectly, displaying a complex GUI, with scrolling tabular data entry and display, vector graphics, solving many equations, and saving the output to a .RTF results file.

All of the above was a complex undertaking, and I am frankly amazed at the way everything just worked immediately - using all the very same SF and SFPM install files, system program files and data files as we use under M$Windows, without changing a single thing, when installed fully under Linux.

Jeff, you are to be congratulated on such well-built software!
---
John