1 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2016-02-06 08:24:01)

Topic: Retrieving project file pathnames

Jeff, is there any easy way to find out the pathnames, of files listed in the Project tab?

Most of the files in my project lists are stored in a source files subdirectory in that same project, so I always know where most of them are. 

Sometimes, however, a project has one or two source files, pulled into another project, or from somewhere deep inside the Windows file structure, where they may have been installed automatically by running an 'install' executable provided with a downloaded Fortran library.  It can take a lot of effort to track down these files, when all I have to go on is the file name in the project list, but no pathname!

It becomes important to be able to retrieve this information sometimes, such as when creating another project and looking at a previous one to find out how it was built.  Or when deleting a project file name but needing to add it back later.

If any way could be added to SF to enable pathnames to be retrieved, it would be especially useful if they could copyable into the clipboard.

If there isn't an easy way to do so, then I am wondering whether it would be very troublesome for you to add another action to the right-click menu for files in the 'Project' files list - and it occurs to me that you might like to consider doing so in any case.

At the moment, right-clicking on one of the file names gives a menu of nine available actions.
Of these, seven are not actions specific to the files being right-clicked but are project-related actions.  That is, these same seven actions can be obtained by right-clicking on any of the files in the project list.   

The two FILE-SPECIFIC actions that can be taken by selecting them in the right-click list are these:
      :
      :
   [Remove item]
   [Disable file]
      :
      :   

( As an aside, I am wondering why these two use inconsistent terminology.) 
( Would it not be better for them to be, 'Remove file' and 'Disable file'?      )
( This is not the my main point in this post, however.                                )

What I am writing to ask, Jeff, is whether you could add third file-specific action, of the file properties, thus:
      :
      :
   [Remove file]
   [Disable file]
   [Properties]
      :
      :   

Save for one particular property, I am unsure of what kinds of properties it might me useful to include, but selecting this option could then produce a list of them.  Perhaps they could include the files last save-date, its first line (or its first 3 or 4 lines), its type (whether a source file, a compiled object file, a library etc), and, the particular one I am looking for, the pathname.

I would be happy if the additional file-specific menu action was only to display the pathname, because it is this alone which I know I'd find helpful.  eg
      :
      :
   [Remove file]
   [Disable file]
   [Pathname]
      :
      :   

Alternatively it would be helpful if the pathname could be made to appear by just hovering the mouse pointer over a filename in the project list, although I assume that this would not make pathnames clibboard-copyable.

---
John

Re: Retrieving project file pathnames

John,

On Windows, hovering does give the full path.  I think it was just skipped for development time on the Linux version.  I'll see that it is added.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC