Topic: ARM Linux install problem

On a ARM7 based SBC (odroid) running Ubuntu 14.02, installation does not produce any errors. 

When launched from the command line, simplyfortran reports the following:

simplyfortran: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.2.8' not found (required by simplyfortran)
simplyfortran: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by simplyfortran)

I assume this is a file version problem, but not sure what versions are needed.  Any hints?

Re: ARM Linux install problem

We're currently only testing and running on Ubuntu 15.10 or higher and Raspbian 8 or higher.  Raspbian currently ships with GCC 4.9, which is what we're using to build Simply Fortran.

Ubuntu 14.04 shipped with GCC 4.8 by default, which does not provide the same C++ ABI as GCC 4.9.  You might try:

1. Running apt-get install gcc-4.9-base to get the appropriate C++ runtime libraries, or...

2. Upgrading your distribution.

I'm not sure if gcc-4.9-base is available on Ubuntu ARM, but it might be.  You can also try checking if a PPA or backport provides a valid GCC 4.9 or higher package.

I apologize for the issue.  I'll also look into compiling with GCC 4.8 instead for compatibility, but I can't make any promises.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

jeff wrote:

2. Upgrading your distribution.

I wanted to add that I'm not generally a fan of the above suggestion.  I know that I become frustrated when the above is offered as a solution, especially because 14.04 is a LTS release (although it is unofficial on ARM).  I'll still be looking into building a version that is compatible with 14.04.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Build 2129 has been built with GCC 4.8, and it may work on Ubuntu 14.04 now on ARM.  This technique is how we manage to support 14.04 on i386/amd64 as well.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC