Topic: Unable to install SF 2.28

I downloaded the SF 2.28 build 2191 and I was unable to install it properly in Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 Ultimate.

I got the following :

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2812.

Re: Unable to install SF 2.28

How big was the file you downloaded?  Occasionally that error occurs when the .msi file download was interrupted.  It should measure about 102MB. 

If anyone else is having this issue, please let us know.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

104,951,808 bytes

That should be the correct size.  The installer was tested on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and Windows XP SP3 32-bit without any issues.  Do the machines you're using have any sort of restrictions on installing software?  Did version 2.27 install properly?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I had problems installing Sf_2.27_build_2176. I just did not take it on too much. However, I decided to highlight the installation issue when it occurred with SF_2.28.

Interesting.  The installer hasn't changed considerably for many, many releases.  Had you been using version 2.26 previous to attempting to install 2.27?

Again, do these machines have any restrictions on them?  Are they "locked down" by an IT department?

Are you currently using a virus scanner?  If so, which virus scanner is installed?

Obviously I'm unable to replicate the issue on my test machines.  I'd like to figure out why you're seeing the issue.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Yes, I used SF 2.26 with no problems. Also I had no problems with Sf_2.27_build_2174. Right now I am using Avast on the windows xp machine. And I am using 'Microsoft security essentials' on the windows 7 machine. There are no restrictions on the machines.

I have some ideas as to the cause of the issue.  Would it be alright if I provide you with a link tomorrow with an experimental installer?  I would use the email address associated with your account in the forums.  Hopefully we can clear up the problem quickly for everyone's benefit.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

It is o.k. I am interested.

I've sent you an email.  Please make sure to check your spam folder as it does contain a link to an installer, which occasionally leads to its being marked as spam.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC