Topic: More ergonomic project-selection window at SF startup

I do like very much the small project-selection window that opens at program startup but I have a couple of small suggestions:

(1) Caption this window 'Select project' rather than 'Select NEW project'

(2) Have it EITHER (a) auto-resize so that however many recent projects are displayed can all fit into the window, OR (b) display them in reverse saved-date order, so that it isn't necessary to scroll the vertical dragbar, erm, every time (with much incipient gnashing of teeth!), to get to the one I'm currently working on.
------
John

Re: More ergonomic project-selection window at SF startup

John,

I did recently realize that the ordering of recent projects in the window is annoying in that it is backwards.  Sometimes these small usability issues sneak through testing, but it bothers me too (Simply Fortran is developed using the Simply Fortran IDE, after all). 

I'll look at both comments you had for the next version.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

jeff wrote:

I'll look at both comments you had for the next version.

Just curious...when do you anticipate the new version to be out?  Is there a thread somewhere that has a running list of considerations for the next version?

Thanks...Kurt

Kurt,

There's no "list" per se, but features requested by users usually squeeze into each new version.  If you look at Simply Fortran's track record, a new version is released about once a month or so, sometime more often.  After a year and a half on the market, 25 minor versions have been released.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

5 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2012-03-09 19:43:59)

jeff wrote:

I did recently realize that the ordering of recent projects in the window is annoying in that it is backwards.  Sometimes these small usability issues sneak through testing, but it bothers me too. 

I'll look at... for the next version.

You did 'look at' this as promised, and fixed it.  Thank you.

A related small matter:  The 'recent projects' list, in the project menu, ought possible also to display in reverse date order, most recent at the top.   This would be for the same reason as, and consistent with, the most-recent-first list at program startup.
---
John

John,

Originally the recent projects list in the menu was purposefully ordered as it appears with the most recent listed last.  However, at this time I can't recollect why that decision was ever made.  I'll look into reversing the menu order as well.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC