Topic: nonconforming tab character at (1)

I got some fortran-code written by someone else on windows. I don't know what editor was used, but "simply fortran" gives a warning (nonconforming tab character) for each line. Why the warning and how can I suppress it? I see that the mentioned tabs are in fact real tabs and not a number of spaces, as done in "simply fortran". But why is this a problem? The problem is that it renders the "project issues" panel useless as there are thousands of useles warnings and the important issue is hidden somewhere inside those. Thanks for any help.

Re: nonconforming tab character at (1)

Simply Fortran currently performs syntax checks using the GNU Fortran compiler with the flag "-Wall" to enable all warnings.  As GNU Fortran considers tab characters to be "nonconforming," it complains about these.  There is no way at the moment to disable this particular warning without disabling all syntax checking or fixing the issue itself.  I find this particular "feature" annoying myself, and I think a dialog where warnings could be enabled/disabled for syntax checking would be the proper solution.  I'll try to get it into 1.29.

In the meantime, one solution is to actually remove the tabs.  If you select a tab in the editor and then copy it to the clipboard (^C or Edit->Copy), you can then open the Find... dialog (Edit->Find...), paste the tab into the Find box (it should appear as a square I think), place 4 spaces in the Replace box, and hit Replace All. 

I realize this solution isn't ideal.  I'll get a fix in the next version to make things more pleasant.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

It is very likely that you can fix it very swiftly using Micro$oft Word.

Open the document in M$Word.

Use Ctrl-A then CtrlH- to search/replace all

Put in ^t in the search field
Put in '      ' (without the inverted commas) in the replace field

Press <replace all>

Save-as new fiolename (as an unformatted text file)
---
J.

jeff wrote:

In the meantime, one solution is to actually remove the tabs.  If you select a tab in the editor and then copy it to the clipboard (^C or Edit->Copy), you can then open the Find... dialog (Edit->Find...), paste the tab into the Find box (it should appear as a square I think), place 4 spaces in the Replace box, and hit Replace All.

Thanks. This is far better then replacing everything by hand big_smile. I agree, that this solution isn't ideal, but in my case it is OK, since the program only has 12 different fortran-files. Thanks again.

jeff wrote:

There is no way at the moment to disable this particular warning without disabling all syntax checking or fixing the issue itself.

There is a way to disable this particular warning in GFortran by adding -Wtabs flag to compiler options. In Simply Fortran you can achieve this by appending -Wtabs to contents of Project -> Options -> Fortran Compiler (if you want this setting for the current project) or Options -> Compiler -> Fortran -> Compiler Flags (if you want this setting for all projects).

On the other hand, Simply Fortran editor doesn't seem to handle Tab-Format Lines [1] properly, so conversion to space-only fixed form or maybe even to free form is a good idea anyway.

[1] http://software.intel.com/sites/product … 9506A5E35E

Tab-format lines are not part of the Fortran standard.  It is an extension to DEC/Compaq/Intel's compiler.  It is unlikely that Simply Fortran will support this format.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC