Topic: Switching back and forth between projects

Jeff, thanks for the drop-down 'recent projects' selector.
This makes it quite easy to switch between projects.

I think it is quite an important to be able to do this, and to do it very quickly and efficiently so as to be able to do so over and over again.
A need for this arises when developing a project which is reliant on one or more libraries, which one has also developed.
Of course, it is advisable to develop, debug and get fully working any such libraries in advance but, even then, it frequently happens WHILST USING a completed library to develop a main project, that one realises ways in which the library routines either could benefit from, or must have, some changes. 

It is then necessary to switch over to the relevant library, edit one or more routines, re-build, then switch back to the main project, rebuild, and run the main project to test the library.  Then switch back to the library, then back to the main project, and so forth.

THEREFORE, here's my request.

Could projects be selected with tabs somewhere?
eg along the bottom, like in Micro$oft Excel?
All the code needed by Simply Fortran to do this is presumably written already, because we use it when selecting different projects using the pull-down menu.  I'd vote for making a new project tab appear each time a recent project is pulled-down and selected.  There might also be created an setting to switch this facility on or off, though, in my case, I'd probably leave it set to on all the time.
---
John

Re: Switching back and forth between projects

John,

The tabs for projects are an interesting idea, but it might be even still simpler to allow multiple projects in the Project Panel tree.  I don't know exactly when such a feature will be integrated as there are a few others I'd like to get to first, but multiple projects would be an extremely useful feature.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Any possibility that this might show signs soon of gently floating towards the top of the master-wish-list?
---
John

John,

I apologize for taking so long to reply to this request. Multiple projects is the big feature planned for a 3.0 release.  I don't have a solid timeline on that at the moment, so I can't really give a date.  I would estimate that "within the next 12 months" is a reasonably safe statement.

Some of the necessary multiple-project-management wiring already lives within Simply Fortran.  However, there are still parts that aren't quite ready for that transition.  Furthermore, such  a change will require significant testing to ensure reliability.

So yes, this feature is near the top of the list at the moment.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Can't be sure but I seem to recall you once said, Jeff, you weren't too keen on having a facility for 'debug' and 'release' versions of the same project, on grounds of needless complexity.   My view is that it could be a useful addition.
---
J.