Topic: Simply Fortran 2.0 is out!

In case anyone hadn't seen the new website, Simply Fortran 2.0 is now available.  The new version includes the integrated debugger, as hinted at earlier.  Users can download and try out the new version alongside your current version 1.x installation without any issues.

If you've registered version 1.x in the past, there will be an upgrade fee to 2.0 that is significantly lower than the full registration fee.  Users who have purchase a version 1.x registration in the last 30 days should contact support@approximatrix.com for an additional discount. 

Additionally, if you or anyone you know has tried Simply Fortran in the past, the new version will "reset" the 30-day trial period.  If you've already tried version 1.x, you can start fresh with version 2.0 without any issues.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Re: Simply Fortran 2.0 is out!

An update is available (Build 1339) that should at the very least fix the following:

• Runtime functions will no longer produce a warning

• Debugging programs always opens an external console to avoid program input conflicts

• Projects with spaces in their full paths can once again launch properly

• Simply Fortran should now more reliably kill the debugging process

This update contains only bug fixes.  Requested features will be added to version 2.1.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

JEFF...

This is XBITS. I have now successfully installed FORTRAN and am attempting to cover a lot of ground in learning its capabilities. 

In one of your notes (last Sept. or so), you mentioned that you were going to provide a wrapper for the Borland Graphics code so that Fortran could call it.  I went to GITHUB for further info and found the list of functions, subs, etc.  At this time I am especially interested in manipulating the rgb colors.  For example, I might want to extract all of the reds within a certain range of values (within the 0 thru 256), convert them to black and lay them on a white background for comparison to other things.  What I am doing is simply trying to answer the question: Why are they THERE?  Why not somewhere else?

This may sound strange, but I have found very good reason to doubt the truth of some basic physical concepts, and I'm using the observable universe as a laboratory. 

Now, the question is this:  Where can I find documentation on Borland's code?  Is it in the modules, or perhaps in a separate publication.  I think that company went belly up some time ago, and their pubs may no longer exist.

I can download the stuff and go over it line by line, but it would take forever, and at age 84, I cant wait that long.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Many Thanx

Bill Eddy
bristolmathnut@yahoo.com

Bill,

Sorry, but I seemed to have overlooked this message until now.  There is partial documentation available for WinBGI-Fortran available at:

http://tx0.org/7so

The documentation is not yet complete, but much of the docs related to colors is complete.  The code for the Windows BGI wrapper is available at:

http://winbgim.codecutter.org/V6_0/doc/index.html

The original Borland documentation will be essentially useless for what you're describing because BGI did not support RGB colors.  This implementation, however, does support RGB.

Lastly, the GitHub repository is no longer being updated as the project has moved to BitBucket due to some unsavory business practices by GitHub in recent months.   I would suggest starting there from now on.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC