Topic: Virus Scanner Issues

Some users have reported that Simply Fortran is being flagged as containing a virus.  Apparently the installer itself has been flagged on some systems.  Approximatrix strives to deliver a quality product, and we're guessing this is a false positive.  Additionally, the Fortran compiler itself, gfortran.exe, has been removed during installation by some virus scanners. 

We are currently working on the issue, and hopefully the issue will be resolved shortly.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Re: Virus Scanner Issues

Hi, Jeff,

I just joined today so I'm a newbie here.
The message posted above could be an important one, but I don't  see a more recent followup.
Have you been able to track the problem down and solve it?

Any chance that it's a hoax?

Thanks

Sorry for the lack of a followup. There are no currently known instances of Simply Fortran being flagged as containing a virus in current versions.  The previous report was due to a component of the Fortran compiler itself when scanned with AVG.  We reported it as a false positive, and it no longer is flagged as such.

Compilers are somewhat prone to being flagged as containing viruses. It could be due to the fact that they contain code to generate code or the odd nature of their own internal code.

Simply Fortran has always been validated as "safe and clean" by multiple independent reviewers.  If anyone does run into a virus scanner that does mark any files in Simply Fortran as containing a virus, please let me know.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Hi Jeff,

I've observed that the antivirus software Bitdefender has flagged both fwin.exe and client.exe.

I typically turn-off the antivirus function in Bitdefender when using SimplyFortran.

I hope this helps.

Frank

Frank,

I wasn't aware of this report.  I'll try to report Simply Fortran as a false-positive to them.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

2.14 will not install on windows 8-pro because of the AVG virus detection.

Is there any further information surrounding this detection report?  I'd like to file a false-positive report with AVG.

I would like to point out that Simply Fortran does pass Microsoft's and multiple third-party virus scans.  We have had problems in the past with AVG.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

After the problem showed up, I upgraded from 8.0-pro to 8.1-pro (this upgrade was planned and has nothing to do with SF).
After the upgrade completed, AVG needed to be updated. I chose later. Then I installed SF without incident.
I'll be updating AVG and when the report appears again, I'll make another post.

That's good to hear that Simply Fortran has installed properly.  Please do post again if you run into a similar problem.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC