Topic: Suggested improvements to debugger user interface

I would like to suggest a couple of *easy* suggestions for improving the debugging experience.

(1) The Debug menu shows the Function Key accelerators for Step Over (F8), Step In (F9) etc. Would it be possible to also put these accelerators in the "tool tip" text that pops up when the user hovers over the toolbar icons. (I am always looking for these tool tips to remind me of the function keys but they don't)

(2) In the Project Options, Code Generation tab, add an option to allow debug safe optimizations (-Og).

None
Debug safe (-Og)
Size (-Os)
Common (-O2)
Extreme (-O3)

--
David

Re: Suggested improvements to debugger user interface

David,

Good ideas.  I'll make sure they get into 2.20.  The next version (2.19) is already done with most testing, and it will be coming out in the next few days.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

3 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2015-01-06 02:04:32)

Re: Suggested improvements to debugger user interface

When adding these small details, could you consider whether any additional key combinations could be used, with keys nearer the front of the keyboard, as optional alternatives to F8 and F9? 
eg Ctrl-Shift-A and Ctrl-shift S?

I ask, because it is not very ergonomic to have to dangle an arm across the keyboard for a repetitive key-press (easier, and slightly less error-prone, to be able rest the wrist on the desk in front of the keyboard).
---
John