Re: SIGSEGV - segmentation fault, only when debugging

John,

It sounds like the core of the issue is that using standard Windows file dialogs in conjunction with Simply Fortran's debugger causes a crash in the program being debugged.  I was able to replicate the crash on my system originally, so I'll try to investigate more.  I don't have an immediate guess as to what's occurring, though.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Alas I have no ideas I can suggest, although a possible clue might be that Helmut Michels was apparently able to run a test program using his debugger, without this causing a crash.
---
J.

John,

Some searching on the Internet shows that there are quite a few people experience crashes when calling GetOpenFileName or GetSaveFileName (the functions that actually opens a file dialog in Windows) in programs being debugged in the GNU Debugger (Simply Fortran's underlying debugging engine).  I'll see what solutions I can find.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

29 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2015-01-19 23:19:44)

That's very encouraging.  So nice to know I'm not the only one!
I hope you manage to solve yet another problem that no-one else has managed to fix.
It's a real nuisance not to be able to use the debugger!
--
J.

John,

I've sent you an email with a possibly fixed version of the Windows Fortran Dialogs  package that might eliminate the debugger-only crash circumstance.  I'm hopeful it works.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

John,

I think I've got the debugger-only crashing fixed in regards to the file dialog. I'll send you an email sometime today with the new WFDialogs library to try out.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

You are a grafter, Jeff, that's for sure!
I'll look forward to receiving it.

If you really have succeeded (and I do not hold you to it), then I'm sure that everyone in your forum will be extremely interested in what exactly this problem has been, how you diagnosed it and how on earth you managed to cure it.
---
John