Topic: Trying out MPI for Win (Microsoft) with SimplyFortran

Hi there,

Using MPI with SimplyFotran to develop parallel-ready codes to be later transferred to supercomputers is likely many of the SF users would be very interested in.  In one of the posts on MPI Jeff wrote that SF might be able to employ Microsoft's MPI for Win (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download … x?id=44990).

"We don't currently have any supported MPI solution, but I've been looking into it.  Microsoft does support an MPI package for Windows that Simply Fortran might be able to employ, but it hasn't yet been tested."

That is exactly I would like to try. I've just finished my serial code and would like to try running it in parallel with MPI on a small Windows server before transferring and adjusting it to a supercomputer (on which I have limited time for use). So, Jeff or anyone else with the knowledge, could you help with posting step by step instructions (for complete novice) how to install and start using Microsoft's MPI with SimplyFortran.  Jeff, you gave me earlier wonderful instructions for installing LAPACK. If possible, help on that level for Microsoft MPI would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and
Happy 2015 to everyone reading this post!

--Boris

Re: Trying out MPI for Win (Microsoft) with SimplyFortran

Boris,

The SF Package Manager contains a port of the Microsoft MPI libraries:

http://packages.simplyfortran.com/package/69.html

To try out the package with Simply Fortran, you'll need a Package Manager account.

Otherwise, setting up the MS-MPI libraries is rather simple.  You'll need to download the appropriate archive from the link in the Package Manager description, either msmpi-4.1.4174.0-mingw-w64-x64.zip or msmpi-4.1.4174.0-mingw-w64-x86.zip, extract the archives, and configure your project to use the libraries (include and library search directories will need to be configured).

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,

Wonderful, thanks. Let me first purchase the license. If I have more questions, I'll be posting them here.

We obtained the SF Package Manager and it all worked fine. Great thing is that all known packages are there (with description) and you can just click and get them installed in an instant.

Hi Boris -
I'm going to be trying out MPI.  The code I have was written in g fortran for linux machines, and is already configured for MPI.  How well did things work out for you?