Topic: SF for Linux

How is this project going, Jeff?
---
John

Re: SF for Linux

Simply Fortran currently works fine natively in Linux.  Right now I'm working on completing packaging, which has proven to be somewhat frustrating.  Additionally, the launch website is mostly complete but not yet publicly accessible.  Finally, I still need to get an ordering page up and running.  It will actually be slightly cheaper than the Windows version because we won't be shipping the compiler, just the development environment.

Right now some bugs are consuming my time with Simply Fortran 2.25 on Windows.  Once those are cleared up (hopefully Monday or Tuesday), I'll be finishing up packaging for Ubuntu and Debian GNU/Linux systems.  There are a few remaining bugs as well that need to be ironed out.  I should expect a release in early December at the latest.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

3 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2015-11-23 18:25:59)

In the meantime, just as you mentioned a good while ago now, SF works extremely well on Linux when WINE is installed.

It is so impressive, in Linux, how with WINE installed, it isn't even necessary to run WINE.  Simply downloads SF using a Linux browser, then double-click the file icon, and SF just installs and plonks a SF icon on the desktop, just as if Windows was running.
Needless t say, the Windows version of SF then runs perfectly under Linux, and it produces Windows code, which run just where it sits, under Linux, or can be run on a Win Doze PC as well.

I am nonetheless looking forward to registering a Linux version as well.
This is such suoerb software!
---
J.

Awesome news, I had no idea this was in the works. If memory serves me correctly I have used SF with crossover on a mac in the past. Don't remember how well it functioned but it did work to some extent.

5 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2016-01-02 17:15:40)

Might it be feasible for the Linux version to include a build which can run on the ARM processor?
I've just bought the magnificent Raspberry Pi, and I've installed Ubuntu MATE on it. 

I realise that this is a long shot, because many other things are more important than this, for all of us, in your ongoing development of te even more magnificent SimplyFortran. 
---
John

JohnWasilewski wrote:

Might it be feasible for the Linux version to include a build which can run on the ARM processor?
I've just bought the magnificent Raspberry Pi, and I've installed Ubuntu MATE on it.

At initial release, no, there will be no Raspberry Pi version.  The ARM build will be delayed a week because it hasn't been tested yet. 

And I would keep an eye on the website Monday or Tuesday...

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC