Topic: SF on Linux distros

Hello:

I guess I did not read the SF info on linux very well. Am I correct that Simply Fortran for linux is only built for Debian (and one other) distro?

I use Slackware (and no, not all Slack users build everything from scratch by themselves...). But I also think I read here that one can install Wine (on BSD-like linux) and then run the Windows version of Simply Fortran. Is this correct?

Thanks for any comments.

jrich / Bozeman, Montana

2 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2016-05-08 18:51:40)

Re: SF on Linux distros

With WINE, the Win Doze SF  install executable installs Under Linux at the first attempt without a hitch, then SF runs perfectly.
There are also Debian (Ubuntu), RPM (CentOS/RHEL and OpenSUSE) and Arch (Raspbian, Ubuntu MATE) packages.

I'm having a spot of bother installing under Raspbian (which I'm sure can easily be fixed) but I have installed under Ubuntu MATE and Linux Mint  with absolutely no problem.
---
John

3 (edited by jeff 2016-04-11 20:26:20)

John is correct above that Simply Fortran for Windows will run prefectly under WINE.  The only caveat is that Simply Fortran under WINE will only compile Windows executables which will subsequently need to be run under WINE.

I'm currently looking at producing another Linux distribution using AppImage that should allow Simply Fortran to run on any (recent) Linux distribution.  I would expect it to be available this month at some point.

EDIT: I also wanted to point out that Simply Fortran for GNU/Linux is available for Debian/Ubuntu (and compatible), CentOS/RHEL, and OpenSUSE.  I realize these do not represent all Linux distros, but that is all we have available right now.  We're fully aware of Arch, Slackware, Fedora, Gentoo, etc. that currently can't easily use Simply Fortran for GNU/Linux, and we're working on a solution.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Did you mean to exclude Arch?

I thought that that is what Raspbian and Ubuntu MATE are built for.
And I have SF running perfectly well in both of these Arch distros.
---
J.

Did you mean to exclude Arch?

I thought that that is what Raspbian and Ubuntu MATE are built for.
And I have SF running perfectly well in both of these Arch distros.
---
J.

John,

Rasbian and Ubuntu are Debian-based distributions, and you mentioned their ARM variants (usually designated by the "armhf" architecture, implying "ARM v6 with Hardware Floating Point").  Perhaps that might be what you were thinking of?  Arch Linux is an entirely separate distribution with a completely different packaging system, called pacman.  It's doubtful we'd support Arch directly since it is a rolling distro.  Instead, we'll keep working on a solution that should work across distributions (that we don't directly support, that is).

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

My silly mistake.  I was confusing 'Arch' and 'Arm'
---
J.

I just wanted to provide a quick update to this topic.  We're currently testing Simply Fortran for GNU/Linux packaged using AppImage such that it should run on any relatively modern distribution.  We'll be testing and packaging this format over the next week or so, and it should be generally available shortly.  It will allow running Simply Fortran natively and easily on Arch, Slackware, Fedora, and many others.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC