Topic: Conditional Breakpoints

Thanks for adding conditional breakpoints in 6.1.0.

The condition should be a logical expression. Can you make sure all logical expressions are supported.

For a loop index i, to break on the 10th iteration I set the condition as i == 10 but this didn't work. I had to use i .eq. 10.

(Similarly /=, <, >, <=, >= should be supported ideally.)

The other issue I have found is there is no way to clear a condition once it is set (other than setting the condition to .true. or removing it and then recreating a non-conditional breakpoint).

I would do the following:

Make "enable"  in menu show "enable" or "disable" as appropriate.
Add a clear condition option to the menu when one has been set (grey out/disable when one has not been set).

Meanwhile I can work around these issues easily enough.

David.

--
David

Re: Conditional Breakpoints

David,

The debugger used to understand the logic symbols you had mentioned in an earlier version due to some custom patching we had added.  It looks like, during an upgrade, that patch wasn't reapplied. The GDB core developers seem to be unaware that those symbols are indeed valid Fortran.  I'll see that a new build is released with that patch applied.

You are correct, there is no way to remove a conditional other than to remove it entirely or set the condition to logical true.  That feature will probably be postponed until 2.29, but we're fully aware of that shortcoming. It's an unfortunate consequence of how GDB is handling the underlying breakpoints, although we can and will add the feature.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

David,

On second thought, I'll see that "Clear condition" is added in a new build sometime this week. It is frustrating that it works the way it does.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

A new build (2197) is now available for Windows on the Download page that adds the option to remove conditions on conditional breakpoints and adds support in conditional breakpoints and watch expressions for symbol-based logic operators when working with Fortran (==, /=, <, >, etc.).  The GNU/Linux fixed versions are forthcoming.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Thanks Jeff.

--
David

Linux versions have been available for a day on the Linux Download page.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC