Topic: How compaq visual fortran(cvf) transform to simply fortran

can i directly open a (.for) file which is finished by cvf with simply fortan ?  there are some format problems.

Re: How compaq visual fortran(cvf) transform to simply fortran

I just converted a large program from CVF to SF. My experience is that there are no problems with exact Fortran codes and you will be in no time familiar with the SF environment because there is a lot looking like CVF.
But my greatest effort was to "translate" the user interface (say better re-write) and graphics. The different in graphics  between the Quick windows I did use and  Appgraphics is that the so called "world ordinates" are unknown in Appgraphics; you have to use pixels! I made a translate module so that I can use exactly the same calls of graphics in world ordinates as in Quick windows.
Warning: some programmers are using a Fortran dialect born in practice like "automatic" translations of variables declared different, with did work in the past but may cause errors in GNU Fortran. Probably this errors are not easy to find!
Finally, Your code after deleting all Quick windows or other spec. CVF statements would generally would be understood by the GNU compiler in free or fixed format

HUANZI wrote:

can i directly open a (.for) file which is finished by cvf with simply fortan ?  there are some format problems.

You can certainly open the .for file, but, as Klaus explained, there could be trouble compiling if your code uses a substantial number of Compaq extensions.

What format problems are you seeing?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I think about publishing some general usable source on a not public part of my website.
If no objection it may be free for use to the SF-family as an example to see how i did translate from CVF Quickwindows to SF with appgraphics
This is only one module file with the content "Translate World Windows to pixel windows using CVF-like calls in SF/AppGraphics"
(Only the QW calls I did use are included and specially written for my own applications).

Also my edit sheet lib can be added, but there are three bugs found which I have to repair first. I may be spend some weeks
Comments are welcome.
Klaus

The next link gives access to my nonpublic site where you can find  my way  to translate CVF graphics (quick windows) to SF/AppGraphics:
http://www.asmussolution.nl/SF_users/index.html
My intention was to keep the original source unchanged so far possible. The major task was to use real dimensions while x and y are pixels in AppGraphics. (Meanwhile I found AppGraphics more handsom than Quickwindows)
Comments are welcome, regards Klaus

Klaus,

This code will probably be useful to quite a few people!  I'm impressed with how you've kept the calls so close to QUICCKWIN calls.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Now it is possible to down load my Edit sheet from
ttp://www.asmussolution.nl/SF_users/index.html
You only need to unpack the zip-file and start the test project.  The source of the library is still not included, because some procedures are still to special for my own programs. Namely my so called derived types are specially made for my applications.

Sorry of course the link must be:  http://www.asmussolution.nl/SF_users/index.html

Klaus,

I had a chance to try out your example program, and it's very impressive!  I'll need to look at it in more detail, but this would be extremely useful to other AppGraphics users!

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,
Its fine to may contribute something for AppGraphics after I had so much profit using your tools for rebuilding my applications!
Also I appreciate your great help for all my questions.
The edit sheet, however has still some restrictions, like numbers of rows and columns. Furthermore there is still no scroll bar but this has no high priority for me. Prior to publish the library source I think about making the so called derived types more universal. (It is no big problem, but applying in my own programs is some more work)
There are also some small imperfection in graphic presentations.
suggestions are welcome
Klaus

There is an update available of my Edit Sheet form the link given on 2017-05-20.
The specific procedure check_derived_data is moved from the library to the example project. Also the library source is added.
A Check_derived_data procedure has to be part of any program using the Edit Sheet if so called derived data are used. It has to be changed from the example procedure to a specific application.
Normally there is no need to change the library source if the number of columns and rows are less than the maximum.
Questions???
Klaus