Topic: Version v2.39 error message: "Not a PC program"

Today, when I opened a program in Simply Fortran v2.39, I got the Windows message "Not a PC program".  I am using a Samsung laptop.
     Last night I had  Windows updates. I had compiled and run the program in v2.39 a few days ago with no errors. Yesterday afternoon, before the Windows update, I added new code and was debugging it. There were ordinary Fortran errors, which I was fixing.
     This morning when I tried to compile and load, I got the "Not a PC program". Any ideas on what went
wrong?

Thanks,
     Joe

Re: Version v2.39 error message: "Not a PC program"

I have seen this message before and the AV program was causing the problem.  Try turning off (completely) your antivirus program (or Windows Defender).

Are you saying that the machine reported that the executable that you created from your Fortran source code is "Not a PC program?"  I just want to make sure that message wasn't complaining that Simply Fortran or the compiler itself wasn't a PC program. 

While it likely could be interference from a virus scanner, that message can also occur if your program uses very large static arrays.  There is a 2GB limit on Windows on statically allocated arrays for 64-bit executables.  When this limit is reached, Windows usually reports that the executable isn't a valid Windows application.  Do you have exceptionally large static arrays?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I'll check both possibilities.  I have had problems with antivirus programs, McAfee and Microsoft Defender.
And my new piece of code allocates a lot of storage.
    One of the times I was trying to build, I got a comment that the program was trying to access an address
outside the allowed area.
    Thanks for the tips.
        Joe

Additional info on error message:  "This app can't run on your PC".
The message is repeated for every file that is checked by the Syntax Checker.

I tried the helloworld project.  It crashed.
      Joe

You tried the hello world project with your antivirus turned off?

It sounds like your antivirus software is blocking the compiler.  Try disabling it.  Which antivirus software are you using?

There are no known issues with Microsoft Defender.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I reloaded SF v2.39.  It worked.  All troubles went away. Sorry to have caused you trouble.