Topic: APLOT Scaling issue

Hi Jeff,

When implementing APLOT to plot X,Y data pairs there seems to be a problem with the axes scaling when the user resets the Y-axis scale minimum above zero.  This causes the X-axis to disappear below the plot window.  For example, Y data from 0 to 1.0 when rescaled to 0.5 to 1.0 makes the X-axis disappear. Resizing to reduce the plot size to a very small plot reveals the X-axis is still there. This vanishing X-axis also occurs with autoscaling when the data are significantly above zero. 

Could you possibly take a look at this and see if there's an easy fix?

Regards,
Frank

Re: APLOT Scaling issue

Frank,

I received your example program via email, and I'll look at this today.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,

fyi, I'm running Windows 10, Intel Pentium, 4 GB RAM, and 64-bit OS.

Thanks for looking into this.

Frank

Frank,

The underlying plot code always places the axes at 0,0, and it attempts  the drawing even when the transform from plot to screen coordinates means they won't be visible.  The reason it appears again when you shrink the window is that the transform from plot  to screen actually means the X axis at y=0 is visible again.

I've modified the axes code for both the X and Y axes  to draw them on the bottom and left respectively if either does not fall within the plot region.  I think that makes the most sense.  The fix will be in the next release, but I'll send a modified library to you via email so you can immediately start working with it.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,

Would you also have time to correct the axes 'clipping' of data issue so that on rescaling the axes, the data won't extend outside and beyond the axes limits?  This is a major issue with APLOT.

One more thing, but not a big issue, could a SetColor() statement be added to APLOT.  Currectly, bar graphs only appear in bright red.  A Setpattern() statement would also be nice.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank,

I'll look at the clipping issue, but it will be significantly more difficult. A setseriescolor function was already added to the API for the next version per another user's request.  A pattern definition, unfortunately, won't be possible without major changes.  Because Aplot is cross-platform, implementing pattern support is probably too costly a change.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC