Topic: c and c++ project

Can SF be used as a c and c++ ide?
If so, can you explain how?

Re: c and c++ project

Simply Fortran has reasonably good support for the C language (in terms of the File Outline and searching for procedure definitions) and somewhat basic support for C++. It also includes the C and C++ compiler on Windows and macOS.  You can just add the C or C++ files to a project just like any Fortran file.  When you build the project, it should have no problem with those files. 

A project containing C++ files does need an explicit library linking command, though, because of our default linking step.  In Project Options under Compiler flags, one would need to add:

-lstdc++

to the Linker box to ensure that the C++ standard library is also linked. 

There's really no additional steps.  You can mix C and Fortran source in the same project (I do this regularly), and Simply Fortran will compile it all.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Do your mixed language projects have C/C++ calling Fortran functions and vice versa?
Is there any extra interoperability code that is needed?
Can you make a mixed language project available for us to look at?
Or direct us to a web source to learn from that is consistent with SF?

I'll have to work up some more complex examples, but you'll want to look into using the iso_c_binding module, which allows interfacing Fortran with C (and, hence, a whole collection of C-compatible languages).  For example, I can write a very simple Fortran program that calls a C floating-point routine:

program main
use iso_c_binding
implicit none

real::timesval

interface
        function timestwo(x) bind(c)
        use iso_c_binding
        real(kind=c_float)::timestwo
        real(kind=c_float), value::x
        end function timestwo
    end interface

print *, "Times two via C"

write(*, '(1X, A21)', advance='no') "Enter a real number: "
    read(*, *) timesval

write(*, '(1X, A43, F8.3, A4, F8.3)') "The C language tells me that two times ", &
                                          real(timesval, kind=c_float), &
                                          " is ", &
                                          timestwo(timesval)

end program main

You'll notice I've written a Fortran interface defining a function, timestwo that is a C function (hence the bind(c) appearing in the function's definition.  Also, I've marked the passed argument x as value because Fortran always passes by reference, while C always passes by value.  I can then create a C file that contains:

float timestwo(float x)
{
    return x * 2.0;
}

If I add both files to a Simply Fortran project, it will just work, and the output is what you'd expect:

Times two via C
 Enter a real number: 6.0
     The C language tells me that two times    6.000 is   12.000

I'll have to find some more complicated examples to display.  But the key is using the iso_c_binding module.  Simply Fortran will just accept a C file added to a project, though, so there is no complication from a development environment perspective.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Thanks.
Anything more you can provide would be most helpful.

In your FORTRAN with c code, I replaced timestwo with this

float timestwo(float x)
{
    printf("aaa \n");
    printf("%f \n", x);
    printf("bbb\n");

return x * 2.0;
}

The output ignored the newlines and gave this

aaa 3.000000 bbb

Any thoughts?
K

I'm guessing that the output is in the internal * Console * tab.  Is that correct?  I'm surprised it's working that way on Windows, but you can probably fix it by adding a carriage return as well:

printf("aaa \r\n");

I'm wondering, does the code work as expected in an External Console without the carriage return?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Are the interoperability procedures in this post the same if one only has a *.h file rather than *.c file?  All I know about C language is that *.h is called a header file. 

What I mean by the interoperability procedures is (1) to use iso_c_binding, (2) including the interface, and (3) adding -lstdc++ in the linker for compiler flags in the project options.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

A C header file usually only declares prototypes for C procedures and provides constants.  The availability of the procedures in a header file really depends on what specifically you're talking about.  If you have an accompanying library that corresponds to the C file, then you would just need to create Fortran interfaces based on what the C header declares and link with the corresponding library.

If you're attempting to use functions in the C standard library that are mentioned in C header files, then you don't need to explicitly link to the library.  The Fortran compiler will link to the C standard library regardless.

You only need to add the standard C++ library flag for linking if you're linking with the standard C++ library.  There's a good chance you're not, though.

If you have the accompanying C source files for your header file, you can just add them to your project in Simply Fortran, and they should also be compiled.

To be clear, though, interfacing C routines isn't particularly simple.  I'm providing a very high level overview of what you need.  It could get substantially more complicated quickly if you need to link multiple libraries (or you have to build a C library yourself first...).

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Thank you for the overview.

I can appreciate the difficulties, although the example in this post was relatively simple.

When you say that there is a good chance that Iā€™m not adding the standard C++ library flag for linking, what would that be?

You only need to link to the standard C++ library if you or your external C/C++ code is using C++.  If you're trying to link to a pure C library, there's no need to add the flag to link to the standard C++ library.  The original post specifically asked about linking to C++, which is why I mentioned it.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC