1 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2020-10-20 00:07:21)

Topic: Editor drag&drop malfunction

I normally expect drag and drop to work like this in an editor:

• Drag&drop        : MOVEs a selected string from its origin to its destination.

• Ctrl-Drag&drop : DUPLICATEs a ditto from/to ditto.

SF's editor in MacOS seemed at first to have these actions reversed.  But on further investigation, I now think:

- It is DUPLICATING in both cases, which seems wrong, AND
- It shows a red '+' symbol during the plain Drag&Drop action, which also seems wrong.

---
John

Re: Editor drag&drop malfunction

?

John,

Would you be able to explain this behavior in detail a bit more?  I'm trying to sort out what exact buttons you're pressing each time on macOS to perform these operations, including keyboard and mouse operations.  I'm not sure I understand exactly where the issue is.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

4 (edited by JohnWasilewski 2020-11-03 16:35:06)

In the normal way, the editor allows me to select a string of characters and then to use the mouse pointer to drag them to another place on the page.  For example, suppose I have a series of comma-separated variables in a single declaration:  I might want to select one of them, with its trailing comma, and use the mouse pointer to drag it away from its present position, to a different place in the sequence.  Equally, I might want to select an entire line, then leave it where it is, but drag A COPY OF it into another place on the page.

I would normally expect the drag and drop action simply to move the selected string to its new position.  I would also expect, if I hold down the Ctrl key (or in MacOS maybe the Cmd key) for the drag and drop operation to leave the selected string where it is but to move a new copy of it also to the drop-off point.  Some software attaches a '+' symbol to the mouse pointer during the drag-and-drop action, when the Ctrl key is being held down, to signify the addition of a COPY of the text being dragged.

These actions seem to be partially-performed by the SF editor but not as described above. 

Drag-and-drop without the Ctrl key attaches a plus sign, when it ought not to, and drags a copy, when it should drag the selected string itself. 

Ctrl-Drag-and-drop fails to attach a plus sign, when it would make sense to have one, but does also drag a copy.

I can't find a way to drag the string itself rather than a new copy of it.
---
I hope this is clearer.
John.

This behavior appears to be isolated to Simply Fortran on macOS, and it seems to be a GTK+ issue.  It might not be fixable, but I'll see if anything is possible.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC