Topic: Breakpoints with debugger tool

I recently upgraded to version 3.19 of simply fortran for windows and the debugging mode is no longer recognizing any breakpoints. When starting debugging mode, the code stops at the variable declaration. However, when I continue, the tool ignores any breakpoints throughout the main file and any module files and runs to the end of the code.

I've tried disabling and reenabling debugging in the project options window, and restarting the program but no avail.

Thank you!

Bob

Re: Breakpoints with debugger tool

Bob,

I quickly tried debugging on Windows, and I couldn't replicate the behavior.  Could you provide any further information?  What version of Windows are you using?  Is your program 32- or 64-bit?  Do you have any optimizations enabled (best to have none when debugging)?  Are there any other notable, enabled options (coarrays, OpenMP, etc.)?

I'll keep trying on my end to see if I can get the same problem to occur.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Hi Jeff,

I'm using windows 10 home (version 20H2), and my program is 64-bit. I do not have any optimizations enabled (but that is a tip I didnt know about debugging so thank you!!).  I have openMP and runtime diagnostics enabled. However the issue persists when both are disabled.

The debugger works (i.e., stops at the breakpoints) when I open the project in simply fortran 2, so maybe the issue when installing the new version?

Thanks again,

Bob

Bob,

This is a puzzler.  The underlying debugging engine, the GNU Debugger, did not change between version 2 and 3.  It is actually the same version of the GNU Debugger, in fact.

Does your Fortran file happen to have spaces in the name or possibly spaces in the path?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

There does appear to be a major issue if a space is located literally anywhere in the path to a file in the debugger.  I think I have a solid fix at this point, though.  I'll let you know when the new build is available.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

New builds (3542/3543) are available for all platforms that should fix debugger breakpoints.  The issue was present on all supported platforms, though spaces in paths tend to be more common on Windows.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Thanks for the help Jeff! The latest version is great!!

All the best,

Bob